• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rotary tool carver

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Does anyone know ow where to get this tool. The tool I want looks like this but has 3 V shaped cutters but they aren't aligned and vmcut 3 grooves with each pass. Used to be rotarytool.com but that site is no good. They were stone carving tools and used to have a booth at a lot if AAW symposiums. 1000001109.jpg

I bought a few different profiles of these after a demo by Al Stirt a while back - time to dig them out and experiment. The demos on the website are inspiring…

Does anyone know ow where to get this tool. The tool I want looks like this but has 3 V shaped cutters but they aren't aligned and vmcut 3 grooves with each pass. Used to be rotarytool.com but that site is no good. They were stone carving tools and used to have a booth at a lot if AAW symposiums. View attachment 62499
Take a look at the Manpa brand cutters made for rotary tools with a collet. The shaft sizes are 1/8" or 1/4" and you can choose either a round or triangle shaped carbide cutter head that you can remove and resharpen. They are sold in several place and run $60-$65. Try Amazon, Woodcraft, King Arthur Tools, Kilingspor's. Attached is a photo of triangle shaped tool. I am planning on also getting the round headed one soon. It works nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 26

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My mistake. But I don't know what this means either. "vmcut 3 grooves with each pass"
Not sure too. I get the meaning.
With the 3 cutters offset it can cut 3 parallel lines.

The outer Osage Orange ball is textured with a bit with 3 off set cutters
Just short strokes with the grain and perpendicular.
IMG_7613.jpeg

Not sure too. I get the meaning.
With the 3 cutters offset it can cut 3 parallel lines.

The outer Osage Orange ball is textured with a bit with 3 off set cutters
Just short strokes with the grain and perpendicular.
View attachment 62516
Didn't that cutter used to be 3 small notches ground into the 3 wings? Those things got expensive since I looked at them decades ago. LOL

Used to be rotarychisel.com and is now therotarychisel.com. I think the W cutter that Richard mentioned above is what you want. I have a bunch of these and the Manpa cutters and both work very well. I use them on my Rose Engine and hand held.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I ordered the W cutter. I already purchased the Manpa cutters and will use them but they only cut one line. Looking at the W cutter I may have to modify it to do what I want. We will see.

Awful website and their video link is a bit hard to find.

The cutters appear to be negative rake so they won't dig into the workpiece. A positive rake cutter would be too difficult to control by hand holding. The cuts shown on their video seem to be rough as would be expected with the negative rake.

Back