• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

price for wood

I have some 3in x 3in x4ft pieces of cherry wood. I know flat stock is sold by the board foot but this piece would only amount to .25 board foot. At the going rate for 6/4 cherry which is $6.50 a board foot (locally) my piece would sell for $1.63. No way I can get my costs out at that price.

My question, is there a standard way of pricing turning wood?

Thanks for your help.

Dave F.

board foot

Dave ,I think your math is off.
3" x 3" x 48" = 432 Sq in
a board foot is 1" x 12" x 12" = 144 sq in
432 divided by 144 = 3 board feet

Yup, I multiplied by 4 instead of 48. At that rate the piece would be priced at $19.50 if my math is correct.

Does that sound reasonable for turning stock? Does anyone have a method to how they buy or sell turning stock? It seems some of the material I see for sale in commercial store is pretty high but then I realize they have a markup on the wholesale price.

Thanks for the math lesson - need more coffee I guess.

Dave F.

That is about right. Most of the 3 X 3 X 12 turning stock I buy is from $5.50 to $9.50 per piece depending on the species of domestic wood. Exotic wood is higher.

wood price

Dave, Are you wanting to sell wet (green wood) or is it kiln or air dried.
This will make a difference in the price.
If your considering starting to sell wood. Look around at some sites that sell wood for turning and you will soon see what wood is selling for.

Dave ,I think your math is off.
3" x 3" x 48" = 432 Sq in
a board foot is 1" x 12" x 12" = 144 sq in
432 divided by 144 = 3 board feet

Well, cubic inches, anyway. 144 of 'em make a BF.

Now's the time to speak of grade. If they're clean of knots and sapwood, you'd be selling them cheap at $20. Half again would be a better price if dry. All the drying surprises should be borne by the seller at the premium price.

If green, maybe $20 is good for clear. Can't say 48" is a real useful length. Most things that use 3x3 are like plant stands, where you use about 30" including waste, though candle stands might work in 24" lengths.

Want to buy some? :p I even have 4x4 for reprises of that classic splay-legged Shaker stand.

Thanks for the information.

I'll take a look around at other sites to see what they sell for.

I'm not interested in becoming a seller of wood but I have a large supply and occastionally someone will ask to purchase some. I didn't know what a fair price would be.

Dave F.

Back