• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Portland Trade Show

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
I just looked over the vendor listing for this years trade show and it looks like it is going to be a good one. The last two Symposiums I went to (Phoenix and Kansas City) the trade shows were considerably smaller than past Symposiums. Sure looks like the Portland trade show will be a good one.

I was talking to Dale Larson after a demo in Salem last week and said that all the vendor spaces had sold, and they opened up some more room for more vendors. Hope we have a large turn out of wood-aholics and tool-aholics...

If you can't afford the demonstrations, the trade/toy room and instant gallery are free admission. You may end up spending before you get out of the vendor area........ There are also lots of demonstrations in the vendor area as well...

robo hippy

I will be there.
I hope that the turnout will make it worth the while of the vendors.
It is costing me a bunch just to get to Portland. I doubt it is because all the other turners got the cheaper tickets :).

Well, this year, jet lag won't be a problem for me. Next year, I will get the same 3 hour lag that you will get this year... Bring sweater or light jacket. It cools down a lot at night, like mid 50's...

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Emiliano You would end up borrowing money from a friend and still spending it so you might as well make it easy on yourself and take the wallet. :) I'm speaking from personal experience

I am in shorts about 3/4 of the time.... It will be high grass pollen time. Other than that, weather is pleasant.

robo hippy

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
It is costing me a bunch just to get to Portland. I doubt it is because all the other turners got the cheaper tickets :).

PDX is an expensive airport to and from — for whatever reason. If you can set up the couple hour ride between Portland and Seattle that might make Seattle a cost effective flying alternative.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano You would end up borrowing money from a friend and still spending it so you might as well make it easy on yourself and take the wallet. :) I'm speaking from personal experience
God knows I dont need anything else... But you never know what you are going to find.... LOL

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
God knows I dont need anything else... But you never know what you are going to find.... LOL
Bring bring an empty case :)

When I fly there is always some well meaning people who come up and say
“We drove if you get something too heavy for the plane....”
Takes away my defenses...

:) Driving to Hawaii is less common. :)

PDX is an expensive airport to and from — for whatever reason. If you can set up the couple hour ride between Portland and Seattle that might make Seattle a cost effective flying alternative.
I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars by taking red eyes, bouncing across the country ( taking 12-18 hours ) or getting to the airport at 4am.
The cost of a same day(light) flight was substantially more.

If I was traveling with my wife, and we were going to make the symposium part of a bigger vacation ( which we have done many times ), I might consider a long car ride. Not this time.

This will be my first symposium, mostly due to the cost factor. Portland being a 5 hour drive and that I will have free accommodation since my wife’s son is living in Portland, I will be on my own though as my wife and her son will travel as I attend the symposium, though she will join me for the dinner.
Really looking forward to attending, and a big part of it is to meet many of you that I’ve gotten to know over the years through the internet. Locally I belong to two turning clubs and from the two clubs there will be more than two dozen members attending, many of us will be travelling by car and making it into an extended trip.

The smart shoppers at least have a carry on type suit case with wheels.... Those tools and wood get heavy...

robo hippy

Back