• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My first 'paid' turnings!

I'm kinda excited. I was chatting with a landscape partner/owner and we were talking about trees, and the plight of burning perfectly beautiful mesquite burls and he resonated with my lament. He wanted to know what I did with it if I wasn't burning it, so I showed him my digital archives of mesquite, including my wife's pepper grinder.
The next day he brought by 2 4' long , 18" diameter half logs and wanted as many bowls and plates as I could get from them. I explained how coring systems yield nesting sets, and now I have a commission for 3x sets of nesting bowls and a dozen plates.
I committed to late June to balance the day job and he was content.
I exchanged contact info and thought that was that, until the next day he came by with a 14' tall whole mesquite trunk he nabbed from one of his customer's house that morning. We got it anchor sealed and nerded out about the center section that is completely covered in burl for about 5' of the length. I tried to figure out whether he was negotiating some 'in leu of' and he declined and said "I knew you would make good use of it."
I tried to condition him to the expectations of using wood plates and the maintenance necessary to keep them in good repair and he seems to have taken it to heart.

Wow, cool story-Isn't it great when other people "get it" and try to help you out. Please post some of the finished pieces!

That sounds great. Are you going to be able to dry them that fast or are you going to finish turn them we and let them warp? Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Ironically, the wood I am commissioned to use is dry for 3 years allegedly, and my observation of it says it's true.
I will keep the thread updated and keep everyone entertained with my messy garage/shop.

I just realized I have the blanks in the text thread! Heee is the breakdown of the nesting bowls. Hopefully largest will be around 16", but I will be happy with 14-15"

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_085411.jpg
    IMG_20240505_085411.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 40
Here is my first plate attempt from sapwood. Client says I can leave them uneven live edge on the outside shoulder, but I insisted sealing in bark and other inclusions to keep the food on the plate.

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_085430.jpg
    IMG_20240505_085430.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 28
Back