• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

microphone/amplifier for club meetings

Hi there Everyone,
Our club is getting larger and some of us are getting older and do not hear as well as we used to. Too much rock and roll (a long time ago and now). So, I am looking into getting a head mic with an amplifier to help our damaged ear parts. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Hugh

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Ask Alan Zenreich about his system....

Hello Hugh!

At the AAW Symposium in Tampa, Alan Zenreich had a personal wireless microphone system that worked well underneath a helmet and face shield. He might be contacted if he doesn't appear on here in a reasonable amount of time. This would enable your presenter to be adequately protected without compromising on ability to hear them as they do their demonstration.

The wireless microphone receiver output should be compatible with correct inputs to an amplifier selected for the voice frequency range; the amplifier should hopefully have feedback suppression, especially if speakers will be "portable" and located not too far from where the presenter will be talking. The size of the amplifier and speakers should also be matched to the size of the anticipated room/venue being used - you don't want an undersized system (money poorly spent), nor do you want to blow out the windows when the demonstrator hiccups... Obviously the speakers should be able to handle the power output of the amplifier (I have changed-out quite a few "blown" speakers back in the 1970's and early 1980's - "Rock and Roll is here to stay..."). If multiple mikes are to be used, you may need a switcher, or if they are to be used simultaneously, a mixing system compatible with your amplifier would be needed. Multiple wireless mikes and their receivers also need to be frequency coordinated so they don't "step on each other" and interfere with individual microphone performance.

From past days DJing over 30 years ago, and experience gained in troubleshooting different audio systems ("band" audio mixing boards and an FM broadcasting station), I also suggest you should consider using heavy duty speaker cables matched to the system that maintain good connections with minimal audio loss over the long term. You should pay attention to speaker impedances and amplifier outputs and their ratings to assure the different critical components of the system are compatible.

It may be useful to seek-out retailers (music stores?) that sell audio equipment to performers/bands and get some background in what scale of system and level of performance you require. You likely won't get that kind of experience or advice from some salesperson at Radio Shack... Additionally, some of these places have used professional audio equipment for sale, obtained when musical groups "trade-up" to bigger systems. For a basic audio system needed for a woodturning group, this may be a very economical solution to providing a serviceable audio system of good quality that will last and perform well for a long time.

Good luck!

Rob Wallace

Thanks Bill and Rob. I was hoping that people from clubs that had a microphone set up would chime in too. Any takers?
Thanks again.
Hugh

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I have done a lot of research on audio systems for woodturning demonstrators.

The main impetus for my investigating this was to find a solution that would work with a face shield, or powered respirator hemlet.

Among the things to consider

• microphones - wired vs wireless
  • microphones - omnidirection vs cardioid
  • speakers - battery powered vs plug in (and amount of amplification)
  • speakers - number of inputs - my wife and I are each wireless, and we have a mic that we hand out to the audience members
  • system - portability (especially for traveling presenters)
  • system - compatibility (especially for traveling presenters who need to plug their mic into a venue's audio system)

Because I'm a researching kinda guy, I've purchased and tested gear that covers virtually all of the items outlined above (wired, wireless, battery powered, AC powered, configs that can fit in a carry on bag, configs that need speaker stands...) they all have their uses.

I'm considering writing a detailed article or doing a video that covers these points in depth.

I actually have an extra system (wireless, battery powered, multi-input, portable) for sale that's almost identical to the configuration that Lauren and I currently use.

If anyone is interested, let me know. I was going to post it in the Want Ads section, but will be happy to entertain private messages.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I've stunned everyone into silence <vbg>

Tap, tap, tap... is this thing on?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It seems like our club has its share of trouble with microphones even though we buy reasonably good stuff. One of the problems is that while most mikes are intended to clip to the collar and placed with the pickup close to the mouth, many demonstrators (actually, most) seem to be not very aware of how to use a microphone. The typical scenario is that the demonstrator clips the mike about a foot from their mouth where it mostly picks up lathe noise. Then there is the issue of demonstrators not routing the wire from the mike to the transmitter where it is out of the way which leads to them getting it tangled up in their hands and turning tools and breaking a wire or the mike. Our last effort was the kind with a headband, but even then when the demonstrator yanks off his face shield, the mike goes with it. Others think that they don't nee a mike and seem to forget that the demo is being recorded not to mention that there are about a hundred folks in the room -- with a lot of talking going on (mostly "what did he say"?). Our facility has a built-in sound system, but this past month it was on the fritz after the building owners upgraded it so if it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all. :eek:

If there are any lessons to be learned (and there are), get a mike that is rugged and have somebody help the demonstrator with properly hooking him up and explaining how to use it.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
The head worn mic I use has two ear loops. Very secure, and almost weightless. I do carry a single ear hook mic too, because I have a friend with a big "melon" of a head, where the second loop couldn't reach his second ear.

Because we can't depend on a venue's audio gear, we carry a small powered speaker with three inputs. We also carry adapters to connect to a venues system when appropriate (that's what we did in Tampa).

I liken it to a demonstrator carrying his/her own chisels... familiar and tested to work well, not relying on the club's tools. Then again, I admittedly take this to the next level, and also supply my own video gear (an unusual wireless setup) that works well to show the work Lauren and I are doing. I love playing with all the toys.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,
I strongly agree with your 'lesson learned'. The person in charge of the audio gear should fit the mic on the demonstrator and route any wires.

Another option to use a one piece earset transmitter/mic that hangs on one ear... Truly wireless (that's what Lauren wears)

A mic wired to a transmitter give greater flexibility as you can usually change microphone styles to suit the task.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Our club has a really good professional video system with a control console that simultaneously monitors all of the cameras. One camera that is mounted over the lathe can be remotely controlled not just in focusing and zooming but also where it is pointed. Our only weak point is the display. I tried to talk them into going with a large flat screen display, but they went with a projection system -- because the projected image is larger than a TV -- almost too faint to see, but it IS larger. :D

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

Your club's video setup sounds very nice.

In my case, I am working on faceplate mounted items that are about 2" in diameter, and Lauren is working concurrently at a table several feet away.

So, most club setups like yours are not optimal for our demo. We bring our own video setup to supplement or replace the venue's equipment, and decide which gear to use... It's nice to have options.

Our club has a really good professional video system with a control console that simultaneously monitors all of the cameras. One camera that is mounted over the lathe can be remotely controlled not just in focusing and zooming but also where it is pointed. Our only weak point is the display. I tried to talk them into going with a large flat screen display, but they went with a projection system -- because the projected image is larger than a TV -- almost too faint to see, but it IS larger. :D
Interested in knowing the details of the overhead camera you are using Bill.

Thanks to all that sent in input. I am still looking and will find and try something. If anyone thinks of anything else about the speaker/microphone - please submit it.
thanks.
Hugh

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Hugh, if you would like to talk on the phone about this topic, send me a private message and we can arrange a call.

Alan,
Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it.....but it will not be for a few days. Too many irons in the fire right now.
Thanks.
Hugh

Leslie,
I took a look at the Fender amp. Looks good. I am going to try to hunt one down that I can look at. The only problem I can see is that I need a wireless microphone. I am not smart with this sort of stuff, but trying to get educated in them. Thanks for the idea.

Hugh

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Hu,

For turn-key solutions, you might take a look at these two. One is UHF and the other VHF.

Fender makes an all-in-one wireless solution, called the Fender Passport Executive PA. It includes a UHF wireless system with both lavalier and headset microphones. The amp requires AC power (does not run on batteries), and is a little pricey, but it's a turn-key solution.
(http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Passport-Executive-Portable-Wireless/dp/B00332VUWY)

The Happie Amp (http://happieamp.com/), is much more cost effective, but uses VHF transmitter. It's in wide use by people who perform at parties (magicians, wedding officiants, etc.). It also has two mics and transmitters, so two people can talk (there is also a third input). The are supposed to be coming out with a Happie Amp Pro (UHF) sometime in November.

Because I have put together my own system, I haven't used either of these products, but they are certainly worth investigating if you want to go turn-key.

Last edited:
Hi there Everyone,
I am still working on this project. One of the club members had a small unit that we tried one meeting. Another club member had an amp and a third club member had a real job making head microphones for pilots. So, we are still trying stuff. I will let you know what we end up with.

Trying these things, I have found that we need to teach speakers to use them also. Show and tell can be interesting with the microphone being passed around. :D
Thanks for the suggestions.
Hugh

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi there Everyone,
I am still working on this project. One of the club members had a small unit that we tried one meeting. Another club member had an amp and a third club member had a real job making head microphones for pilots. So, we are still trying stuff. I will let you know what we end up with.

Trying these things, I have found that we need to teach speakers to use them also. Show and tell can be interesting with the microphone being passed around. :D
Thanks for the suggestions.
Hugh

My observation from watching demonstrators use our club's wireless mikes would include:

• Have somebody fit the mike properly on the demonstrator and try to instruct them on its use. I have seen demonstrators hang the mike all over their clothing so that it is frequently much too far from their mouth to pick up much more than the sound of the lathe running.
  • Arrange the wiring so that it is not in the way. Demonstrators who are left to their own devices seem too frequently not take such stuff into consideration. Our club has had to replace way too many wireless mikes that were damaged by demonstrators hanging and breaking the wires.
  • Get something rugged for the aforementioned reasons.
  • Nothing is worse than a cheap mike or a system that hums and buzzes or has snap, crackle, popping, hissing, or thumping sounds. Price, as much as reasonable, should be lower on the list of requirements than performance. A dynamic or electret mike is much better than a crystal mike. Noise cancelling is good, but some have to be worn very close to the mouth.
  • A "sock" is good to reduce miscellaneous noises.
  • Never assume that a demonstrator knows what she/he is doing when it comes to using a wireless mike. They probably do, but they will appreciate the care that your club takes in preparing things for the best possible experience by the members and demonstrator alike.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My observation from watching demonstrators use our club's wireless mikes would include:

[*]Have somebody fit the mike properly on the demonstrator and try to instruct them on its use. I have seen demonstrators hang the mike all over their clothing so that it is frequently much too far from their mouth to pick up much more than the sound of the lathe running.
[*]Arrange the wiring so that it is not in the way. Demonstrators who are left to their own devices seem too frequently not take such stuff into consideration. Our club has had to replace way too many wireless mikes that were damaged by demonstrators hanging and breaking the wires.
[*]Get something rugged for the aforementioned reasons.
[*]Nothing is worse than a cheap mike or a system that hums and buzzes or has snap, crackle, popping, hissing, or thumping sounds. Price, as much as reasonable, should be lower on the list of requirements than performance. A dynamic or electret mike is much better than a crystal mike. Noise cancelling is good, but some have to be worn very close to the mouth.
[*]A "sock" is good to reduce miscellaneous noises.
[*]Never assume that a demonstrator knows what she/he is doing when it comes to using a wireless mike. They probably do, but they will appreciate the care that your club takes in preparing things for the best possible experience by the members and demonstrator alike.

And be sure to tell them to turn it off before visiting the facilities!!! :)

Back