• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kitless pen tools

Before I jump off the deep end with one of the kitless setups from Turners Warehouse, wanted to see if anyone picked up a bunch of stuff and never really got into it. I'm pretty open to requirements.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I used the guts of a Bic pen , which I used a extra long 1/4 inch drill bit , and then re-purposed a Briggs & Stratton valve guide reamer to get the opening just that slight bit more for a snug fit to the pen's shoulder. I double-purposed the drill bit by adding a good coat of wax on the drill and used it for my mandrel to turn the body (and cut off a section of the plastic outer barrel of the pens for a O.D. sizing bushing) - everything but the extra long drill bit (sourced from Mcmaster-Carr) I already had laying around the shop (3 boxes full of promotional Bic pens from when I was an Echo/Shindaiwa dealer.. enough to make somewhere around 150 pens...) You can also use Papermate pens - Box of 100 for like $20 on Amazon, something like that.. - (I believe Mike Peace has a Youtube Video on that.) In my area, doing pen kits would be a very hard sell (No way folks around here would consider paying $15 to $25 for a pen!!) so I had to get creative if I wanted to use pen blanks for anything but finials..

Upshot is, I don't think you'd need any specialized tools or stuff if that is where you are heading.. (I know of no other kitless pens..?)

I've been turning kitless for awhile. In terms of tool, you can be making pens from bic refills for pennies, with no investment except for the drill bits. However, If you really want to get into (I did!). A metal lathe is helpful, for threading and turning center rings.I use a milling machine for clip making. Cap'n Eddie has a good video on the bic version. If you want to really get into it, plan on spending some money. You'll need taps and dies, all kinds of odd drill bits etc.
Below is a pen I made for my beekeeper son. The barrel is hexagonal, The cap is etched aluminum and te clip nickel silver. In general all wooden parts need an internal sleeve, either of resin, or in this case Aluminum.
DSCF0624.JPGDSCF0624.JPG

Back