• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kiln

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Bill:

Have a look at the on-line article posted by Dennis Daudelin HERE about how he built a kiln from scratch.

Another article of interest is from Ireland, found HERE

Cindy Drozda also has produced a pdf file found HERE that shows how she converted a freezer into a drying kiln.

Hope these references help.

Rob Wallace

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Bill, drill a few half inch holes in the top and bottom. Put in a ceramic light fixture in the bottom. Find some thin sheet metal and make a cowling to cover a light bulb screwed into the fixture. You can load items on shelving right above the light. Put your most stable pieces there. Start with a 40 watt bulb. Or if you are in no hurry just leave a 40 in and the load will slowly dry just fine. You can rotate work from the top to the bottom. If in a hurry and its loaded up change to a 60 watt bulb when the work is under 16% moisture content(you need a moisture meter). When under 12% pop in a 75 watt bulb.That will take the load down to under 6% in no time. You need to seal end grain. I coat the whole outside of a end grain bowl and all but the foot of a side grain. If its pretty cold you may to go to a 100 watt. Do not be in a hurry to put higher wattage bulbs in. That snicking noise we all hate? You will hear it if you do. when the load is finished let it cool. Some pieces when over a hundred degrees and pulled into cool air will almost explode. If you are using a slow but steady 40 watt no problems. I have four of these and have been using them for more than 20 years. Very low tech but very good.

What Kelly just said.
I just posted in a thread "a bit of delima" about building one. Haven't been using one like Kelly, but know a few people that have.

I have been wanting to build one for some time, but some of my work is too large to fit into an old fridge. I have been thinking that one could make a kiln that's identical in nature, but using 2" thick 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam insulation to make it any size you want.

Hutch

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I have been wanting to build one for some time, but some of my work is too large to fit into an old fridge. I have been thinking that one could make a kiln that's identical in nature, but using 2" thick 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam insulation to make it any size you want.

Hutch

Matt:

If memory serves, Cindy Drozda formerly used a kiln she made from styrofoam insulation that she had literally duct-taped together (.....I think it may have been the "Red-Green Model"). She might be contacted for more details, but there have been several versions of such an 'insulation panel made kiln' posted to woodturning newsgroups over the past few years. Searches might disclose some information about how these were constructed, vented, etc. You may want to go with a foil-backed product (foil surface on the inside) to reduce water vapor infiltration through the foam.

Rob

I 've been told that the light bulbs factory are phasing the bulbs out of production ----what type of heater will we use for a kiln then ?

Buy a bunch of lights now, then you'll have a supply for the future.
I like to use a bulb called Reveal by I think GE, they show a true color compared to others. I bought 30 bulbs when I heard that incandescent bulbs will be out of production,that should last me quite a while.
Jim

Buy a bunch of lights now, then you'll have a supply for the future.
I like to use a bulb called Reveal by I think GE, they show a true color compared to others. I bought 30 bulbs when I heard that incandescent bulbs will be out of production,that should last me quite a while.
Jim

Good idea buying the Big Lot [pun intended] but when the present stock of light-bulbs are used - up WHAT WILL the new-comers to wood turning use to heat a kiln

Good idea buying the Big Lot [pun intended] but when the present stock of light-bulbs are used - up WHAT WILL the new-comers to wood turning use to heat a kiln

Heat tape, of course.

Back