• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jay Calhoun

Yes, I am new here and new to turning, like under 3 months. I have always been intrigued by woodworking and turning wood. Have watched numerous videos, following others on FB and Instagram just to learn as much as I can. I had an opportunity to learn locally from a turner with a DIY shop class here in town. Took the class and felt hooked!! Searched out what I thought would be the right machine for me and got a JET 1221VS to start me off. I've made a bowl or two, some trees and a few ornaments for the misses. I recently realized I need a dust/particle collector and got the Rikon 1hp collector to keep my small shop clean. Very eager to learn, watch others, take in what I can and see what I can do.

I am 20 year retired US Marine, enjoying a 2nd career aboard Cherry Point NC making money for the family. Also enjoy smoking meats, throwing hatchets, the Seattle Seahawks and having a good time.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
welcome,
I 2nd Gerald’s suggestion to connect with a local AAW chapter.
Chapters offer so many resources to their members.

The 1221VS is a terrific lathe. Has features you used to find only in the big machines. It’s a pleasure to turn on this machine.

Welcome from SE Texas!
Keep having fun, it only gets better.

Hi Jay...I didn't realize you were turning wood now. I've had a lathe for about a year and half now...accumulated quite a bit of wood after Hurricane Florence. I have been attending woodturning club meetings at the North Carolina Furniture School in Farmville each month. It is owned by Stuart Kent and he teaches woodturning, CNC, and woodworking classes at the school. We normally meet at 9AM on the first Saturday of the month. However, the January meeting has changed to this Friday January 3rd due to a scheduling conflict with a woodturning class on Saturday. You are welcome to join us! It's a bit of a drive but there are 3 or 4 of us from New Bern that attend regularly. It is not an official AAW club but several of us are members. I haven't made it to the Down East Woodturners in Kinston as yet...but I am hoping to do so in the near future. Give me a call if you want to ride with me to Farmville. 317-213-8707

Hey Karl! I took a class at the “shop class” here in New Bern and really enjoyed turning wood. Bought myself a 12x21vs in August and have been enjoying it so far. Made a few bowls for gifts at Christmas (attached three pics).

Will Johnson told me you turned wood also and it was cool to see you on AAW. I’ve got a lot to learn, curious to hear techniques and would be interested in attending meetings and talking to people. But this Friday won’t work for me.

I’ve giving up on beekeeping, found out was was extremely allergic from a sting and it wasn’t fun.

Attachments

• 9AC25BFF-D80F-42CD-BDD7-CF17899D0ED7.jpeg
    9AC25BFF-D80F-42CD-BDD7-CF17899D0ED7.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BEF1E931-08D0-4E65-9E94-8C2AD9C4C709.jpeg
    BEF1E931-08D0-4E65-9E94-8C2AD9C4C709.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 6CA4FD1C-8061-4795-AD82-7C413B8E814A.jpeg
    6CA4FD1C-8061-4795-AD82-7C413B8E814A.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful work Jay! It looks like your woodturning is off to a great start. I'm sorry to hear about the bee allergy...that's a frightening development. Let me know if you want more information about the NCFS club.

Thanks for the compliment and acknowledgment on my work. I’ve got a lot to learn and very, very interested in attending meetings to learn more. Questions like catches when trying to hallow a bowl (sharpen tools, still happens) and stuff like tenon or a mortis for ease or security.
716-861-0627 is my number. Thanks.

Jay, I took the liberty of adding you to my mailing list for the club. I'm the "activity coordinator" and we have some upcoming instructional classes as well as a meeting on February 1st...

Back