• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hunter Tool Purpose

Hello,
I have seen a lot of talk of the Hunter tool lately, I was recently talking with Mike Jacofsky, and from what I learned from him I will give my opinion. The Hunter tool is not for beginners just because they can't sharpen too well. It is too expensive for most beginners I know. The best use for the Hunter tool to me would be for cutting very hard dry, or abrasive wood that dulls you hss tools almost instantly.
well that's my opinion,
Wyatt

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello,
I have seen a lot of talk of the Hunter tool lately, I was recently talking with Mike Jacofsky, and from what I learned from him I will give my opinion. The Hunter tool is not for beginners just because they can't sharpen too well. It is too expensive for most beginners I know. The best use for the Hunter tool to me would be for cutting very hard dry, or abrasive wood that dulls you hss tools almost instantly.
well that's my opinion,
Wyatt

I'm relatively new to the Hunter tool, myself......

But, I've been doing quite a bit of experimenting with it lately, and have a few observations of my own......

I hope I can explain this in a way that's understandable, but I've noticed a couple things that are distinctly different with the Hunter over a standard bowl gouge.....even when comparing to a bowl gouge with a double bevel grind.

The purpose of the double bevel bowl gouge is to allow access into places (inside concave curves, corners, etc.) where the standard bevel will not work. The double bevel works, but the grind angle is much bigger as a matter of necessity, because of the thickness of the gouge between the bottom of the flute and the bottom of the shaft.

A much thinner, or acute angle of grind is what works better, and for the reason described above, just isn't possible with a bowl gouge...........but with the Hunter, it is! If you'll notice the grind angle of the cutting edge is acute.....a very small angle. If a regular bowl gouge were ground to this small of an angle, the bevel itself would be very long.......unrealistically long, when considering the needs of a lathe turner.....again, this is because of the thickness between the bottom of the flute, and the bottom of the gouge shaft itself.

Because of the way the Hunter cutter is ground, and it's placement in relation to the bevel of the shaft on the cutter holder, it's almost like having a standard bowl gouge that's extremely thin between flute and bottom of the shaft......a virtual impossibility with a standard bowl gouge, because there would be no strength of the gouge shaft with a flute to bottom of shaft thickness that is that thin.

Yes, the Hunter does give the turner possibilities that are not possible through the usual methods..........but, like I said.......I'm still experimenting with it, and only have touched the surface of just what ultimate possibilities it is capable of........... !!!!! :eek:

edit: The cutting edges of my gouges are all honed on a 200gt slow speed wet grinder......as I see it, the Hunter will not cut any cleaner than my regular gouges will cut......but, I sharpen less. That's a plus in the Hunter's favor, but not reason enough for a turner who can grind a very SHARP tool, to spend his money. For the reasons I described above, I have realized the Hunter can do something that regular bowl gouges can't, and never will be capable of.......this is good enough reason to buy one, and play around with it!

I haven't been able to understand why the Hunter instructions specifically discount the use of the bevel. Until John Lucas (in an earlier thread, and prior to the release of his Hunter video) convinced me to try it with the bevel rubbing, I didn't give it much thought.......now, I can see Hunter Manufacturing has missed the boat with their incomplete recommendations! (Thanks, John!) Sooooo, now we can understand there are actually two very useful cutting methods that can be utilized with the Hunter tool.....SHEAR SCRAPING, and GOUGE-LIKE. As was mentioned in John Lucas' video, there is not much use for using the Hunter tool in a standard scraper fashion (perpendicular to the rotation of the surface being cut) and will likely precipitate a "catch".......but the angled shear scrap, along with using it in a gouge-like fashion, is a real boon to the Hunter tool's versatility.

(I hope I've described these personal observations in terms that make what I was attempting to point out, understandable and useful information.)

otis of cologne

Last edited:
I agree with what Odie said. I just got mine this spring and have been doing a lot of experimenting with it. I haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with it. A video on You Tube by John Lucas just cleared up a problem I had been having. Went out today on a dry Oak burl bowl and did the last few cuts with it. I could actually start sanding at 150 or 180.

I will take back a little about Hunter tools for beginners, It is a great tool and easy to use, however many beginners may not wish to pay the price for the tool. I am not a beginner and I do not own a Hunter tool. I have used a friend's tool and it was great. If I were to buy a Hunter tool, I would reserve it for hard woods or ones that I can not cut clean with other tools.
this is my OPINION about the Hunter tools only.
Wyatt

Last edited:
Like so many turners I tend to stick with what I've become comfortable with. Guys such as John Lucas, Odie, and several others on various forums very often lead the way with the use of new tools. Or often "new" ways to use an existing stand-by. These folks just have to push to see how far they can go with any tool. Lucky for us that they do, in my case it would be years before I used the Hunter, I have, in some of the ways John has and then it would have come about more by accident than design. To sum it up, if you can afford the tool and the time to experiment with it, go for it.;)

Praise of Hunters

My wife was mostly a beginner when she got her first Hunter. She has had five carpal tunnel releases (some in both wrists)... she has VERY little hand gripping strength! She has turned several hundred hollowed Christmas ornaments without a SINGLE catch. She taught herself to use the tool with only 1.5 minutes of instruction at the Louisville symposium. The original cutter is still in the tool. She can not use the Eliminator: it is too heavy for her and it will not go through a 3/8" entrance hole. Give Mike a break, he has designed a wonderful tool. His customer service is outstanding. :)

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well first of all if you can only afford one tool I would buy a bowl gouge. They are simply too versatile. They can be sharpened different ways to achieve different cuts and you can turn just about anything with one.
The Hunter tools I think, are best used as additions to your other tools. As Bill mentioned I now use one to hollow ornaments. I never have to stop and sharpen. I think the Hunter tool is an excellent tool for finishing cuts and works extremely well in woods that want to tearout and woods that are very hard. I've also had good success using it to cut woods with grain that runs every direction.
Is it for the beginner? Well maybe. I find beginners have trouble understanding how to rub the bevel on most tools. With the Hunter you can of course do either, bevel rubbing or scraping, but you have to use it like you would a bowl gouge. On either on if you stick the tip into the bowl with the flute up your going to get a catch. If you rotate the tool and start the cut without being on the bevel you will get a screw thread kind of kick back. That happens on either the Hunter, Eliminator, or bowl gouge. So I guess my answer would be that there is a need for a little instruction but it doesn't take much.
I am working with Mike on producing a short video showing the tool usage for different applications but it will take a few more weeks. They think I should actually work for a living at my job so I have to do this in my spare time.

Good Job on the video John, keep it up.
Wyatt

Back