• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forum Move Yesterday

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
For the last two weeks we have been testing and tweaking the new forum software (xenforo).
When it was decided to move it over, we didn't give much notice (2 hrs), I didn't think it was needed.
The it was pointed out that someone had their favorites up there, so after everything was imported and the new forum brought up, I requested that the old forum be brought back online so whatever you needed to get off of there could be removed and I sent out an email from the forum_moderator email informing you of such.
If you didn't get it, check your SPAM box, and if not, check the email that you have in your profile to make sure it's current.

What I don't understand, and I am asking to be educated, is what is there that needed to be retrieved?

All threads have been moved over, all Avatars, all private messages were moved over (now called conversations) and there were no photos.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Steve - New forum format, color, function, etc. are magnificent! Job well done. Take time for a few victory laps. Thanks for all you do to manage this forum. - John

PS - Those of us that use this forum should never forget that it is the work of folks that volunteer their time to make it a useful/successful tool. - J

PSS - Many (most) of the avatars appear fuzzy/distorted. Anyway to improve image quality? - J

Last edited:

Michael Seufer

Administrator
Website
www.michaelseufer.com
PSS - Many (most) of the avatars appear fuzzy/distorted. Anyway to improve image quality? - J

Hi John,

Avatars are actually higher resolution. Try re-uploading your avatar and see if that fixes the issue. Glad you like the new forums.

Many thanks,

M.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The maximum dimensions of avatars on the old forum was 100 X 100 pixels and a maximum file size of 19.5 kB. This means that not only were the avatars small, but also were highly compressed in terms of file size ... In other words very low quality due to both edge and color artifacts that are the result of lossy JPG compression which discards most of the image information that is contained in the original uncompressed image. As long as the image is small, the low image quality is not objectionable. However, there is no way that a tiny image like that can be enlarged by a factor of 9 (100 X 100 = 10,000 pixels and 300 X 300 = 90,000 pixels) and still look good. Compound the situation by the fact that many avatars were smaller than the maximum size. Many were only 80 X 80 pixels and smaller.i. If the old avatar was not a square image then the small side was stretched more than the larger side adding one more bit of degradation to image quality. The solution is to find a larger image and crop it square. You may upload an image that is larger than 300 X 300 pixels and XenForo will scale it down while maintaining reasonably high image quality.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
The maximum dimensions of avatars on the old forum was 100 X 100 pixels and a maximum file size of 19.5 kB. This means that not only were the avatars small, but also were highly compressed in terms of file size ... In other words very low quality due to both edge and color artifacts that are the result of lossy JPG compression which discards most of the image information that is contained in the original uncompressed image. As long as the image is small, the low image quality is not objectionable. However, there is no way that a tiny image like that can be enlarged by a factor of 9 (100 X 100 = 10,000 pixels and 300 X 300 = 90,000 pixels) and still look good. Compound the situation by the fact that many avatars were smaller than the maximum size. Many were only 80 X 80 pixels and smaller.i. If the old avatar was not a square image then the small side was stretched more than the larger side adding one more bit of degradation to image quality. The solution is to find a larger image and crop it square. You may upload an image that is larger than 300 X 300 pixels and XenForo will scale it down while maintaining reasonably high image quality.

so when are you going to upload a new cat? That one is really fuzzy and not in a good way

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Mr. Squeak and I are in contract negotiations. The sticking point seems to be more leash walking time. Righ now as I tap this message on my iPad, we are out for a walk ... and it's a hot humid afternoon.

Interesting to find another cat named Squeak, although yours can rejoice in the "Mr". Mine is just Squeak. His brother -- a grey 16-lb -- is Fat Rat. I get interesting looks from the vet.

Mr. is more or less a courtesy since he had his paradigms shifted a number of years ago. :D

One of mine is now Ms. Bladder grit (size of a pea) got stuck in the urethra, and the "cure" is to make a female out of the male " accoutrements" -(opens the passage for such detritus,) .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Mr. is more or less a courtesy since he had his paradigms shifted a number of years ago. :D

One of mine is now Ms. Bladder grit (size of a pea) got stuck in the urethra, and the "cure" is to make a female out of the male " accoutrements" -(opens the passage for such detritus,) .

Mr. Squeak had a perineal urethrostomy about a dozen years ago. That's what I meant when I said that his paradigms got shifted. He now sees things from an entirely different perspective.

Back