• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flying Box

Most interesting! How did you turn the box with the open area on the sides as shown in Picture #2? I would think that you would have a time with the tool catching. Love to know your technique. Thanks for sharing the turning. Oh yes, what finish?

Love the base and the open wing type detail. I can see this as something my wife would like to have for jewelry besides it being a very attractive piece.

The tall finial on the lid isn't to my liking. That feature seems to be very trendy now. Having seen someone basically stabbing their hand on a similar tall finial which almost amounted to an upright spear makes me dubious of the feature in what could be a useful box.

Last edited:
Back