• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Shombert

Hi all -

I've been spinning wood for about twenty years, and have been an AAW member for pretty much all of that, but I'm new to this forum.

When I first started, I learned segmented turning from a retired pattern maker who lived near me (in West Virginia) at the time. My interest eventually expanded to other things, but I still do some segmented work. Most recently, I've been making pieces that include what I call "mosaics", made from randomly chosen scraps, and you can see some of that on my website: www.woodspunworkshop.com. My wife and I moved to a retirement community in Harrisonburg, VA, last fall, so my new shop is half of the garage. I've had a Robust American Beauty for about ten years and can't imagine ever wanting anything else.

I've been to Arrowmont about ten times and to the bi-annual symposium put on by the Ohio Valley Wooturner's Guild about eight times, often as a demonstrator. So I may have already met some of you. I look forward to getting to know some new ones and learning some new licks.

Last edited:
Back