• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axminster Ultimate Edge

Bill, likely no one in the USA as there is notice that they can’t ship this product to the USA and don’t offer 110V. I didn’t even know Axminister made this. I do have the Sorby ProEdge that is just about the same. I like it for scrapers, skews, and roughing gouges much better than a platform and a wheel . The Sorby wants way too much protrusion for bowl gouges and spindle gouges. I have the Hannes Vector Jig for gouges.

Link to the Axminster Ultimate Edge similar to the Sorby ProEdge

Ah, ok. I was unaware it was unavailable in the US. I have used and recommended the Sorby machine in the past. When Axminster brought out two belt sharpening machines I was quite intrigued at the differences. Axminster discontinued the basic machine some years ago, only the Ultimate Edge remains.
It has some significant differences with the Sorby, such as variable speed and forward and reverse. It also has a 12mm support bar so that Tormek jigs can be used on it. I use it for all my tools including bowl and spindle gouges. It also gets used for some of my HSS metal turning tools as well. I put an edge on a small axe with it a while back. I’ve just recently modified a small pigtail to fit it for abrasive and polishing mops. Most of the jigs I use are shop made. I like the Tormek jigs but they can be a bit pricey.

Back