• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Automated shop air filter system for 350 bucks

I had been looking at a used Jet shop air on Facebook Marketplace, the Jet AFS-2000. New, they go for 800. This sold for 200, good deal? Maybe. As I was looking for information on the model, I came across a lot of other ideas for a diy shop air filtration system, some you may have seen yourself. The two linked below looked pretty cool, so I combined them and made a few tweaks and adjustments.

The Smartest DIY Shop Filter on YouTube - YouTube

Don't Breathe DUST - How to Make a Portable Shop Air Cleaner for $200 - YouTube

For comparison, the Jet that I saw used can run at 1700 CFM’s on high and has a timer to turn it off in 2, 4 or 8 hours.. A Wen has a model that can move 1290 CFM and costs $290, don’t think there’s a timer.

The system you see in the pictures was built for around 350 bucks, can run at 2400 CFM with filters that catch more particulates than the Jet system with something like 8 times the filter surface area. The best part is that it turns on and off based on the air quality rather than constantly running while you are working.

Adding the Arduino and a 2.5 particulate sensor makes this filtration system pretty awesome. Just turn it on and it goes to work. I added the 8 x 8 RGB LED screen partly because I had one, but also because I can see the condition of the air from a distance. I’ve set the LED lights to show green at 0 to 15 ug/M3, yellow at 15 to 30 and red over thirty. I also modified the code to avoid the fan repeatedly cycling on and off when the air quality is around the threshold point. I’ve set it so that the fan turns on at 13 ug/M3 and off at 9 ug/M3. That works perfectly.

I’ve been using this for a few weeks and it’s astonishingly good.

Once it turns on, It only takes about a minute or so to get the air back to under 9 ug/M3, my cut off point.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPEG
    IMG_0747.JPEG
    485.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0748.JPEG
    IMG_0748.JPEG
    451.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0749.JPEG
    IMG_0749.JPEG
    446.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0750.JPEG
    IMG_0750.JPEG
    466.5 KB · Views: 57
Quite interesting. I have a spare Arduino board from my older X-Carve and a couple of particle counters. All packed for moving. May give something like this a shot, once I build a new shop at the house we are moving into.

Back