• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adding a riser block to a Delta 14” bandsaw

I’m curious to know if anyone has put a 6” riser block on this saw and what your experience has been. I have an old faithful saw that has given me terrific service cutting bowl blanks, as long as the 3tpi blade is sharp and I am careful to feed in a concentric circle. Sometimes I crave an extra inch or two of height capacity when I’ve got a blank taller than 6”. Otherwise I have to rely on the chainsaw to cut as round as possible, then move to the lathe. The motor on the saw is only 1/2 hp, but is usually able to cut whatever I throw at it. This morning I processed 15 pieces of fresh oak, ash and maple into 30 blanks. Most were under 6”, but a few had to be left to the chainsaw to cut round. Please don’t suggest a bigger saw. I’m not there (yet). Thanks!
1FB2520B-2FC4-452E-A123-55D894DE4C8C.jpeg

I used to have a 14" Delta that I put a riser block on. It was better than nothing, but certainly not nearly as easy and fun to use as my Laguna that was made to handle thicker pieces and has the power necessary...sorry :)

No need to apologize. I asked for your experience. Just that a new saw is not quite on the horizon yet. Just trying to determine if the riser is worth the trouble and expense.

I added the riser to mine 25yrs ago and used it for 5-10yrs until I chose to afford a new bandsaw. I was ~happy with it (and several other mods I did to the Delta) during that time. Not sure, but I think mine might have been 3/4hp, I think your largest issue will be power. If you go this route things won't be as convenient for you as a new saw, but you'll have a much better bandsaw than nearly anyone had 100yrs ago, and they did some nice work back then

My first bandsaw was a Delta 14" purchased new in 1961 with paper route money, owned and continually used until 2017. The list of changes include the 6" riser, a 1HP motor upgrade and Carter bearing guides. The saw always performed well but it could have benefitted from a larger motor for cutting thick green turning blanks or resawing.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I put the riser block on the week I bought it 20+ years ago and have never regretted it, often appreciated it. After I burned out the motor that came with it doing something silly I put a 2 HP motor I already had on that has been humming along ever since. Handled all my resaw needs for a very long time. I also added the Carter guides.

Last year I acquired a Centauro/Minimax 20" saw with a 7.5 HP motor, and I have to say it's better for many tasks, especially those involving resawing 12-15" boards. I've kept the Delta and have not removed the riser.

I purchased my Delta 12" bandsaw around 1990. Bought the 6" riser block at the same time. Made my own blades. Actually, a pretty nice saw. I still have it. But, it needs a larger motor. I have a 1 1/2hp Baldor motor in the box waiting for me to make a new stand and put the larger motor on. In 2005 or so, I did buy a Laguna 18" saw. 4.5hp. One saw for small stuff and one saw for larger stuff. Like the riser block though. Is it possible to still get the riser block?

I added the riser to my late 30s Delta about 25-30 years ago. I also upgraded the motor to 1 HP at the same time, from the original 1/4 or 1/3 HP motor. It was well worth the time & effort.
I was young & strong when I did it back then, all by myself Now, I'd definitely want help to re install the upper arm.
Is the riser kit still available?

From what I can figure out, it sounds like the kit that’s available is made for Jet saws and modified (alignment pin placement) to fit the delta.

I bought my 4 speed 14" bandsaw new in 98, and assembled the stand and saw, then went to get the riser set, and not surprisingly the pieces did not exactly fit with precision, so removed the pins that where off and bolted the pieces together, got a couple of straight edges and lined the wheels up in both planes, then drilled a couple holes and pinned the pieces together, never had to touch this again.

I also hung a small motor on the back of the stand that gives me the ability to saw metal, it works just fine, but for large pieces of wood I use the chainsaw and cut the piece to a octagon shape, as I find it too difficult to lift the heavy wood up on that smallish table and than steer it around cutting a circle, I am glad I did add the riser as I am able to saw higher than the 6" it was able to initially.

Also added a couple of wheels that enable me to lean the saw over and roll it to where ever I want to, the wheels are just above the floor when upright.

Grizzly does carrie riser backs for their saws, you do need to make sure they will fit your saw, as the other parts, other than the block, are not all alike.

Blank to be rough turned.jpg Pinned riser block.jpg band speed fpm metal and wood.jpg metal sawing motor on the saw.jpg wheels added.jpg

I have a king canada delta clone. Put the riser on and it was definitely worth it. It's never not cut any blank I needed and I've resawn 8" ash without issue, just have to be patient.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had an aftermarket copy of the Delta. I bought a riser from grizzley because they looked the same. The alignment pins were not the same as the holes in my saw. Still I made it work. Then I got a Delta saw with a bigger motor and put their riser on it. Worked fantastic. I would still be using it if I had not found an unbelievable deal on a 16"mini max.

Thanks all for the feedback. This is the kind of information I was looking for. Now I’m wondering if I can get the Grizzly or Jet kit, as they seem to be available quite a bit cheaper than the one being sold on eBay for the Delta. Only critical issue I think is the guide rod that is 15/16” on my saw.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I bought my 14" Delta sometime around 1990. . When I added the riser block, I also upgraded the motor to 1 HP. I still have it, and until last year, it cut all my bowl blanks. Worked just fine.

I did shim one side of the riser block to get the wheel alignment just right.

I also made an extension table which I highly recommend doing. I rarely used the rip fence, so I used those attachment holes to blot on a table, with a diagonal support down to the stand. Increasing the height will mean you will be cutting larger and heavier blanks. The table on that saw is just too small to safely hold bigger logs.

IMG_5497.JPG

Dave, looks like we both did the same thing as far as adding a dust collection port to the saw. It makes a huge difference, doesn’t it?

I added a riser to my Ridgid 14" a few years ago. I also added a $100 carbide from Amazon 6 months ago. I am happy camper. Blade greatly increased tracking and saw provides plenty of power due to blade. I do not recall where I got the riser from but I can get details on the blade if you want it. I do recall that I did not get it from Ridgid but it lined up.
Pat

Thanks Pat. I’ve been very happy with the Olson 3TPI 1/2” blades I’ve been getting from Amazon. If I make this conversion, I see they are available in 105” size, so I’ll probably stick with them. I’m primarily using them for cutting wet bowl blanks and have been getting terrific performance and life from them. I think only about $12/ blade.

Back