• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pohutukawa in bloom
Terry Scott

Pohutukawa in bloom

Pohutukawa In bloom
Turned from Mango to 3mm and leaving 10mm in the bottom so it sits without fear of falling over Maybe with just a tad too big a base. Any smaller and I think the form would have altered and become slab sided .This shape on such a high vessel I find hard to have a continuous curve from base to rim and keep the proportions pleasing. 300mm high
This was turned wet and didnt more at all as I was able to place in a jamb chuck to turn of the spigot I had left attached to the vessel by 10mm allowing me to hold in my Promount carving rig
I have had this sitting on my half way bench for a year or more waiting for inspiration to come to play
One day I wont have to apologise for the picture (I hope ) A quick shot taken tonight not long after I have sprayed the piece so a bit of a gloss shine as well

Forgot to say many many hours went into this was it worth it
Hence why I havnt posted much lately every piece I am working on (about 18) all are time wasters
This the first off the production line
http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=pohutukawa&hl=en&safe=off&c
lient=firefox-a&hs=xcG&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channe
l=s&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbs=isch:1&ei=YDKCTeCvIsXMhAeo3JjH
BA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&b
ih=614
Reactions: Catherine Ritter
Lionel A Pohutukawa seen in full bloom is mesmerizing
On a sunny day the haze of color seems like a mirage
Then the racket from Cicada is deafening .We Know summer has arrived by the setting of the flowers and the shells/shedding of the Cicada in their thousands stuck to the bark of the tree

Lovely treat, a beautifully made piece, a botany lesson, and a trip to a far island. thanks.

Hi Greg
From November to January these trees are really spectacular especially the old man trees around the cost

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device