• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natures Pyrography
George Van Beynen

Natures Pyrography

A few years ago I found a fallen yellow birch on the woodlot that was quite rotten. I wish I had more available but this is the only time I have found a tree where the sapwood was spalted so cleanly and only the sapwood. I saved a cut-off and roughed two punky bowls. Even after drying the wood was too punky to cut cleanly, even with a sharp continental forged gouge. I saturated it with four ounces of 5cp CA glue and let it set a day. It was finally susceptible to fine cuts. Sanded to 600 grit, then sealed with Deft lacquer, followed with 4/0 steel wool. 7x5.25
I titled this Natures Pyrography, as my first impression was it was a burned pattern that I wish I had produced.
I have tried pyrography a few times with less than spectacular results. If I had more of this I would put my burner away for good!
Reactions: Dave Hulett
Always amazed at the surprises inside a piece of wood. Well done!

Turning of the Week, 09/16/2013
AAW Home Page Photo

One cannot reproduce Mother Natures wonders and you have taken full advantage of it...well done!!! I expect that's a keeper.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Van Beynen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device