• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lunatic Fringe
Jean Turner

Lunatic Fringe

'Lunatic Fringe' Ash on African Blackwood stand. The hollow form: turned in two pieces: lid turned using homemade eccentric chuck, pierced through to form individual rings, pyrograph textured, stained with India ink then rings re-connected using beads and thread through 4 holes per bead, gilded on underside. Base hollowed to 4mm, burr textured, dyed with India ink and gilded inside. After the top was beaded, a neo-dydium magnet was included on the inside to help it stand at an angle, and the base and lid were glued together. The outside edge has been drilled with 170 holes to accept a fringe, but this fringe did not want to go there, it wanted to emerge from the centre! So I called it Lunatic Fringe. The stand is spindle turned. The top is dished to hold the shape of the bowl, and has a neo-dydium magnet installed to help positioning. Entered in the 2013 Axminster New Forest Trust Woodturning Competition. I enjoyed making it.

Photo credit: The 'marked' pictures are official photos taken by the organisers of the competition
Jean,

I like it - I REALLY do! It has such great depth and texture in its surfaces. I only wish I could see it in person. The gilded insides must be interesting to peer into. What is the diameter of the Ash turning?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jean Turner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename