• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Leqaf litter
Terry Scott

Leqaf litter

Leaf litter
The inspiration came from weeding under the large Puiri that is the focal point as you enter into our property. As the soil is mostly heavy clays I thought the Burl would tie in with the theme
300mm Dia Red Mallee Burl
Turned with my support ring process, this was a flat Mallee burl cap
I turned thin enough but thick enough on the rim to carve in the leaves which are life size. Gauging the finished thickness so I didnt go through was achieved with my 2 finger gauge, thumb and middle finger
All done with the Nsk (yes I give it heaps)A dremel would have struggled as this was so hard the extra rpm the Nsk had left clean un-burnt cuts.
Four different sized Inverted cones were used. Nine bits in total went into my I cannot throw anything away bit jar
Indian inks, gold leaf and finished with lacquer.
I may go over the leaves with a brass wire brush in the dremel to take away some of the sheen.
Sits on three feet blended into the curve of the bowl.
Yes its been a while between Pieces
Comments welcome
Thanks everyone for the comments
Finally got back on this site kept chopping me off at the pass when I tried to enter so I gave up trying for a wihle

Terry:

I love it, the leaves work perfectly with the natural wood.

Roger

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata