• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Folk School Syllabus
Jeff Hornung

Folk School Syllabus

Gearing up to head to teach again at the John C Campbell Folk School next week. Spent some time making demo pieces for the class, mostly so I was practiced and had everything dialed in. This class is on making treen ware for Scottish week so students will start with a Spurtle (stirring stick), a thin walled bowl, a platter, then a Quaich and finally a goblet if we have time. Because it’s me I also did color and a Celtic tree of life transfer. Students can obviously do natural pieces but I’ll have milk paint, transfer stuff, texturing tools, airbrush, dyes, liming wax and much more!
Nice and useful. What finish did you use on these utility items?
Thanks Karl. Finish was milk paint on the outside and then everything covered by Dead Flat Finishing Cream from Real Milk Paint Co. Really liking that right now. They say its foodsafe and functionally durable. More testing needs to be done but looking good so far.

Transfer?? please explain...thanks.
The image was printed on a laser jet printer (ink jet will NOT work). You apply a coat of the dead flat finishing cream and immediately place the printed image face down on the wet surface. Smooth it out and get the paper damp then let dry completely. Come back with an old toothbrush and gently scrub the paper away. Your image is left…glued to the surface. An old Mod Podge type thing. Obviously you can go back and burn, color or both if you want. Just a cool way to add artwork.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Hornung
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device