• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cocobolo Pagoda Box
Gabriel Hoff

Cocobolo Pagoda Box

I just can't seem to get away from boxes so here is another one! Turned from nicely colored Cocobolo (Dalbergia Retusa), it is a pagoda style, modeled after Ray Key's. The diameter of each section is smaller as it stacks, and the height of each section is also shorter as it stacks. Turned, hollowed and finished with buffed wax and three coats of gloss lacquer. Size at the largest point is 2" diameter and 3" tall. I like turning the pagoda style but it is a lot of jam chucks and steps!!
Nice one, Gabriel! This is a box design I've always wanted to try. Jamie Donaldson has a Ray Key one in his collection (I think). Each level has a nice snap fit. So cool!

I “can’t” never did nuthin Gabriel!! One of my favorite Dad quotes ever!! You should go with your flow….boxes now….Segmenting (lol) later!! Nicely done and keep em coming!!

I “can’t” never did nuthin Gabriel!! One of my favorite Dad quotes ever!! You should go with your flow….boxes now….Segmenting (lol) later!! Nicely done and keep em coming!!
Thank you Russ! I definitely will continue the boxes!

"I just can't seem to get away from boxes so here is another one!:.....Sez Gabriel!

There are plenty of turners/artisans who do one thing, and do it well. That is an indication that it's the process that captivates your attention, rather than any current undertaking......and, from my POV, that's one aspect that makes your efforts continually improve until you become a master at what you do.

This is a very good thing.

Nice one, Gabriel.

-o-

"I just can't seem to get away from boxes so here is another one!:.....Sez Gabriel!

There are plenty of turners/artisans who do one thing, and do it well. That is an indication that it's the process that captivates your attention, rather than any current undertaking......and, from my POV, that's one aspect that makes your efforts continually improve until you become a master at what you do.

This is a very good thing.

Nice one, Gabriel.

-o-
Thank you very much Odie! I do want to make boxes. It is the process, the wood selection, the shapes and forms and the beauty of each piece. This is really why I want to make a lot more and continue to perfect the process!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename