• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
BOC Castle
S

BOC Castle

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from the organizers of the upcoming Ohio symposium stating that they supported the Beads of Courage program and encouraged everyone planning to attend the symposium to participate.

I have often considered turning a lidded box for the program but seeing as how there are no participating hospitals in my area, I had no idea on what to do or how to get the finished turning to them. I figured the symposium solves all those problems and I had no reason not to at least try and come up with something!

Because of the time, I was limited to the dry wood (rough outs) I already had on hand. While I can turn hollow forms in my sleep, I wanted something that would play to a childs imagination! I hope the finished product will make some child happy!

The castle is maple and stands 9 5/8 high. The body is 5 in diameter x 7 1/8 high x thick. The top is 7 1/8 in diameter x 3/16 thick. The lines were burned into the maple, color is TransTint that was painted on and the words were written with archival type pens. It has multiple coats of wipe-on poly, was hand rubbed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

While the castle has a lot of blocks, many were left blank in the hopes that the child will personalize their castle by adding additional words or colors as they see fit.

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
Very nice! Turning boxes that will appeal to the children rather than looking at things from an adult's perspective should make the gift mean far more to the child.

When you give the box you might include a note inside that it is intended to be written on, colored, finished however pleases the child. The parents might not realize that you hope for the child to customize to suit them.

Great project!

Hu

Hu... thank you for your comments! I will include a note as you suggested with the box! I really do hope that some child out there enjoys the fantasy and it helps make their day a little brighter! Thanks for your suggestion!

Steve-

Hu has a great idea on the note for the kids. It is a great piece and outstanding idea that the kids can add their own art work to it.

Gary

Fabulous gift Steve, a lot of thought & some space for further personalisation.
Nice design BTW, kind of uplifting theme to it.
Pete

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Steve Schlumpf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata