• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black
J

Black

This hollow form vessel is turned from maple with a cherry finial. It measures approximately 11.5 inches tall by 5 inches wide. I am still not comfortable with finials, this being my fourth one. Everything is painted black to allow me to study the form and lines without the distraction of wood grain and color.

All comments, especially critiques, are welcomed and appreciated.
I'm not totally comfortable with completely painted pieces, but that finish is flawless!
Don L.

very nice

Joe,
I'm not too much into finials either, but I like how the detail in your finial mimics the shape of the hollow form. I think your forms are always pleasing, and I'm enjoying seeing the piece in all black also. It's a great study.

Nice job Joe! I think the finial is perfect for the shape of the hollow form. I have never really cared for painted objects but I think this one does well. It clearly depicts the form.
Rick Taylor

I like the distraction of wood grain and color, but I gotta admit, I spent an unusual amount of time studying the form of this one. I think it's outstanding. The finial looks great, but I think a slight bit more taper in the upper part would have made it even better. Exceptionally nice piece!

Joe, I think the black does justice to the piece. One sees the form without the distractions of color, etc. In my opinion, the finial is a little to long, and, as Chuck said, perhaps a bit more taper and also perhaps a bit of "ooo-aaah" at the top (hopefully you get my drift).

Happy Easter 2015!
I realize this is an old posting that popped to the top but I'm just looking at it. Great idea on the black paint. Black is a merciless color. In my auto body business from long ago I only shot it as a full custom color and I charged a lot of money to do it because the prep took three or four times longer than other colors. Perfect was barely good enough. The same is true of this turning.
A simple turning flawlessly executed. It made me look at your later work which is very nice and obviously you have moved on. However I think this piece stands with the present day work quite well!
Hu

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Joe Landon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata