• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Big Vase
Tom Lohman

Big Vase

26” high by 17.4” wide. Each row has 288 segments with 142 rows, for a total of 40,896 pieces. Made with Bubinga, Wenge, Bloodwood, Maple, Yellowheart, and Chatka Viga. Made this one in three sections then glued the sections together. I am fairly certain that I will not make another vessel this large and with this many pieces, took over 500 hours to make it.
This piece represents why I call Tom Lohman, Maestro! 288 segments per ring….Wow! .625 degree angle cuts on the segments….Wow! 40,896 segments….Wow! 500 plus hours of fabrication time….Wow!!

Then look at the great feature ring, the large format form, the wood selection, and the amazing composition of the entire piece; you have something extraordinary! This is truly the other end of the spectrum! Amazing piece Maestro!!

Absolutely incredible !!! Even with all the amazing technical statistics, artistic patterns & colors, Tom always produces pleasing forms on his pieces - often an afterthought in a lot of segmented work. Wish I had your patience!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Tom Lohman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename