• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
5 multimedia pieces
D

5 multimedia pieces

I recently completed five multimedia pieces for a gallery show (my first!). Each piece is centered around a wood-turned element and incorporates pine needle basketry. The vase top and base are Norfolk Island pine. The larger basket is pine beetle stained pine and is suspended from the antler shed base. The basket with antler shed handle has a natural edge maple bowl base. The winged basket has a sassafras base and the smallest basket has a natural edge walnut bowl as a base. The basket bases were all made from discarded natural edge projects which had lost their bark. I returned to them with the idea to let the natural edge of the turn pieces control the flow of the pine needles. Four of the pieces use recycled VHS video tape as stitching and one uses waxed cotton cord. The recycled video tape is made using a dealgan (Scottish drop spindle) that I also turned. I spin the tape into a thread then stretch it to give it a set (but that's another story). This is an evolution of several different interests of mine that all came together in way that allowed me to put my own spin on these unique pieces. I was encouraged to post this by a couple of folks from the two wood turning clubs I belong to. I hope you find them interesting.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Kerley
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata