• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yet another Wood ID help post..

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Recently put in an order from a new supplier (KJP in Canada - Couldn't believe their pricing!) , and threw in a "box of offcuts" which was a random assortment - I have identified most of them, but I have 3 pieces I am not sure of (1 I can guess at, another I'd call a "wild Guess" and the third, not a clue.)
First one: I am guessing at Bocote based on what I can compare to, however I noted when turning it (it is dry) it had an *almost* unpleasant smell that first reaction made me think of "burned chocolate" Photos below:
20230320_112834.jpg20230320_112841.jpg

The second piece- It was quite nice, VERY soft wood , and VERY light weight (Ideal for carving, weight wise, lighter than basswood/linden) I resawed it in half thinking I might try my hand at carving (I'm debating buying carving tools) and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out - I havent worked with Butternut before, which "seems to" identify as such, but It seems softer even than construction lumber (spruce/pine) while yet firm , buttery smooth after hand planing, so I had to wonder if I am even guessing right (Is Butternut THAT soft?) - Photo below:
20230320_112925.jpg

And Finally, what I think is a piece of African Mahogany (It, too is quite soft, almost like Pine or Cedar, softer than Sapele which I am used to, but again I don't know if Mahogany is supposed to be that soft) or some sort of Mahogany anyways?
Photo: 20230320_112939.jpg

I'm not too particular at what the wood is, really, though it would be nice to know what it is in case I wanted to order more of it at a later date. - Any thoughts?

Website
Ohh OK. Wenge, then. that helps. So many of those exotic woods pictures look alike - Bocote, Zebrawood, and I guess Wenge. (Which by the way I find requires very sharp tools with frequent re-sharpening, tearout was horrible soon as gouges got slightly dull)

Website
adamcottrill.ca
I wonder if the first one could be Panga Panga - it is closely related to Wenge, but is generally lighter in colour (https://www.wood-database.com/panga-panga//). The sample that you are showing is quite a bit lighter in colour than the wenge I have turned, even before I applied a finish. I have attached a box turned from wenge that has very similar grain patterns but is almost black with just a lacquer finish. DSC_0041.jpgI think you are correct with butternut (https://www.wood-database.com/butternut/). Your pictures are consistent with butternut I have used. I remember reading that one of the distinguishing characteristics of butternut wood it is the sinusoidal waves in the growth rings in the end grain. Your sample appears to have that too, although yours are not as distinct as many I have seen.

No idea on the third one unfortunately. Maybe the folks from KJP could give you some hints of what it might be?

Adam

Website
I wonder if the first one could be Panga Panga - it is closely related to Wenge, but is generally lighter in colour (https://www.wood-database.com/panga-panga//). The sample that you are showing is quite a bit lighter in colour than the wenge I have turned, even before I applied a finish. I have attached a box turned from wenge that has very similar grain patterns but is almost black with just a lacquer finish. I think you are correct with butternut (https://www.wood-database.com/butternut/). Your pictures are consistent with butternut I have used. I remember reading that one of the distinguishing characteristics of butternut wood it is the sinusoidal waves in the growth rings in the end grain. Your sample appears to have that too, although yours are not as distinct as many I have seen.

No idea on the third one unfortunately. Maybe the folks from KJP could give you some hints of what it might be?

Adam
Yeah, I went back over to wood database and went through, compared Wenge, Panga Panga and Bocote, and I am back to thinking it is Bocote, as you might see in my other post in "whats on your lathe" thread - The wood stayed very clear and far lighter than wenge with oil based finish... (I'll post a pic below) Though I see Bocote claims to have a "dill pickle"-ish smell which can also be a bit almost-unpleasant to some (and I don't really want to go back and sand some of that wood to sniff it again, if it IS Wenge, after reading the toxicity info) I do know the pictures don't seem to show the color very well (evidently the camera flash activated in auto mode, though it seemed daylight, but indoors, to me in the shop)

I have never worked butternut before, and I am amazed at how soft it is.. one would think a hardwood like butternut would be similar to Walnut for hardness, (thinking of Basswood as being softer.. but this wood seems softer than basswood, and lighter too)

I could probably ask in at KJP , one would think that they might like the opportunity to sell more of the wood, should one ask, so I may do that - like I said, I was amazed at their prices (with shipping included) which was better than the place in Ohio I had been buying from.. I was tentative though as I wondered what quality I'd get, and true to their name they seem to be "Select or Better" grade...

OK as noted, here is a pic of what came from that piece of wood above (Bottom Maple, Lid is the wood from above, finial is walnut) - Note the lid, it isn't even close to being black, despite being finished with Tried & True linseed oil / pine resin Varnish
20230321_134355.jpg

Website
www.ovwg.org
First is definitely Wenge. Not sure on others, second MAY be Black Limba. Third Spanish Cedar???? Went to their site and looked at the wood they carried and matched it to your photo. Where in Ohio were you buying from?

Last edited:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Ohh OK. Wenge, then. that helps. So many of those exotic woods pictures look alike - Bocote, Zebrawood, and I guess Wenge. (Which by the way I find requires very sharp tools with frequent re-sharpening, tearout was horrible soon as gouges got slightly dull)
And you can get a nasty splinter just by looking at it! :oops: Not as dark as the Wenge I've worked with. Definitely NOT bocote.

Last edited:
Website
First is definitely Wenge. Not sure on others, second MAY be Black Limba. Third Spanish Cedar???? Went to their site and looked at the wood they carried and matched it to your photo. Where in Ohio where you buying from?
OK on Wenge, I guess I have to agree- I suppose a lighter colored finish is possible , second one, I thought maybe white limba - possible white limba (also on KJP website) and seems to fit that definition. Place in Ohio I sourced from is C.R. Muterspaw (crlumber.com)

Website
And you can get a nasty splinter just by looking at it! :oops: Not as dark as the Wenge I've worked with. Definitely NOT bocote.
OK I guess I'll have to call it Wenge. I wasn't getting much in the way of splinters on that piece, but it definitely needs frequent sharpening when turning it. and the other piece I did get has bad ring shake (or at least separating at the growth rings) , it's almost useless.. but may do some small spindles or finials from pieces of it. I assumed Bocote as photos I had seen of it seemed quite similar grain (though not the crazy wavy spots they showed on representative sample) , and the wood didn't get very dark/black when I applied finish (Which all the videos I have seen of finish hitting Wenge, it went nearly black) There was a third one that I found listed on KJP, but can't for the life of me think what it was .. Oh yeah - Shedua , though it doesn't seem to be that either... or maybe even Bolivian Rosewood (Though It didn't smell flowery, as I'd expect from rosewood) But seems consensus is Wenge.

Website
www.ovwg.org
OK on Wenge, I guess I have to agree- I suppose a lighter colored finish is possible , second one, I thought maybe white limba - possible white limba (also on KJP website) and seems to fit that definition. Place in Ohio I sourced from is C.R. Muterspaw (crlumber.com)
I have shopped a Muterspaw for 4 years. Short 15 minute drive. Great selection but you do have to go into the barns to see the lumber and not have to pay shipping.

The second one looks kind of like 'poplar' lumber to me, like you'd buy at Home Despot, and your description of the softness would fit. But you'd be able to recognize that.

Carvers often use butternut as a substitute when basswood isn't available. About the same for carving except I think basswood finishes a bit smoother. Color and figure pattern are close enough to be butternut. The third is probably Spanish Cedar, not really a cedar, closer to mahogany genetically. Spanish Cedar has a fairly strong and pleasant smell that should help to identify it.

Back