• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Working on a jig to use a trim router along with the late

Here’s some pictures of what a am building to flute the side of a bowl or dish , and maybe the top of one also.
Using Baltic birch plywood and a porta cable trim router I have had for years.
Still have come up with a cone that will set the depth of cut and not interfere in anyway. Will also buy a router bit extension.
Maybe will use a variable speed router maybe at a later date!

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3804.jpeg
    IMG_3804.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 56
Looks like you're well into it. This kind of jig opens up lots of possibilities. I'm sort of wishing both me and my setup had more capabilities.

Nice job. As I don’t have a table saw I went for the metalwork route, this is mine. It’s been modified to accept a different router as the one pictured wasn’t as smooth as the one that replaced it.

View attachment 61256
Yeah see that one but being a carpenter also I was thinking I could make one out of wood
I am thinking of changing router also
The new ones seem more suited to my jig that way I won’t need a router bit extension because I see some bad reviews on them

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Mine's pretty low tech. Simple carriage w/ 1/4" plywood - just screws on the router where the base plate goes. And a "table" on a post in the banjo. Second photo shows the cone I use for depth (turned and hot-glued onto the carriage). If I need stops for either end of the cut, I just hot-glue stops to the table.

IMG_8746.JPGIMG_8748.JPG

Mine's pretty low tech. Simple carriage w/ 1/4" plywood - just screws on the router where the base plate goes. And a "table" on a post in the banjo. Second photo shows the cone I use for depth (turned and hot-glued onto the carriage). If I need stops for either end of the cut, I just hot-glue stops to the table.

View attachment 61282View attachment 61283
I was going for adjustability so I could do a demo on our clubs lath or other members lathe with out using the post to mount the table

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I was going for adjustability so I could do a demo on our clubs lath or other members lathe with out using the post to mount the table
And I was going for more of a "can I throw something together this afternoon" :) which is how most of my "version 1.0" jigs happen. Anything I find really useful normally gets a version 2 and maybe 3...

Similar
Nice job. As I don’t have a table saw I went for the metalwork route, this is mine. It’s been modified to accept a different router as the one pictured wasn’t as smooth as the one that replaced it.

View attachment 61256
similar to the one Ray Jones made to make his boxes with wood hinges. He demoed years ago at Carolina Mountain. Don't know if info is available there.

Mine is also a low tech design. I wanted a simple and quick design just to get it up and working. I did retire the homemade index wheel in favor of a Chefware index wheel with a lot more options for spacing. I should probably update/upgrade the router setup for more capabilities, but that would take some time and design energy. It's way to easy for me to get sucked into turning other projects and/or creating other jigs/accessories.

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_1673.JPG

DSC_1693.JPG

Mine is also a low tech design. I wanted a simple and quick design just to get it up and working. I did retire the homemade index wheel in favor of a Chefware index wheel with a lot more options for spacing. I should probably update/upgrade the router setup for more capabilities, but that would take some time and design energy. It's way to easy for me to get sucked into turning other projects and/or creating other jigs/accessories.

View attachment 61411

View attachment 61412

View attachment 61413
I like that dish you have there I might have to steal that idea !

I like that dish you have there I might have to steal that idea !

Go for it! I've done quite a few of these, mostly with good results. My profile picture was a club demo piece. I've also done inlays in inlays, (sort of 2 tone) crossed them, and mixed in some brass as well. They're a lot of fun.

Attachments

• DSC_0102 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0102 smaller.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_1093smaller.jpg
    DSC_1093smaller.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_8980smaller.jpg
    DSC_8980smaller.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 34
I like making stuff as well. I could have bought my jig but a saw a few elements in the commercial design I didn’t like and found the materials to make my own on eBay. It took a while to make but a fun project and it works well.
I also made a sphere jig a while back as well.

I like making stuff as well. I could have bought my jig but a saw a few elements in the commercial design I didn’t like and found the materials to make my own on eBay. It took a while to make but a fun project and it works well.
I also made a sphere jig a while back as well.
I wasn’t sure if that was a bought one I went with wood because I don’t have a metal lathe to some of the machining
Yours is very impressive !

Thank you. Some of it was done on my MW lathe, the rest on a milling machine. Luckily they sold Aluminium channel on eBay so it’s even doable with hand tools?
Well I think most of it could be done carefully with some electric tools
But not without some f ups!
But the router guide you made wound need a metal lathe?

My MW lathe is only an 8 1/2” x 14” but I do have a 5” independent Chuck for it that has enabled me to machine some parts I wouldn’t otherwise be able to. The standard size chucks for my lathe are normally only 4”.

Back