• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning in China

Anyone have knowledge of contemporary woodturning in China or the Orient? I get a couple of publications-Asian Art News andWorld Sculpture News. Nothing has shown up about woodturning or crafts.

china woodturners

Anyone have knowledge of contemporary woodturning in China or the Orient? I get a couple of publications-Asian Art News andWorld Sculpture News. Nothing has shown up about woodturning or crafts.

Wayne-a couple of years ago one AAW member mentioned that people there(may have been another Oriental country) are so crowded that there is no room for a shop in the homes. Gretch

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Yamanaka

Try looking in Japan. There is a long history of woodturning in Japan.

In fact you can check the past symposia in Kansas City as well as Portland OR. a Japanese have demoed and displayed at both

A

I don't think the current working class in China has any concept of arts and crafts, hobbies, or sports for that matter... they are too busy making money!

Most if not all of the artwork being produced professionally is very traditional: wood carvings, ceramics (such as Yixing), or water colors. I did see some interesting student art at the Shanghai Expo last year, but the emphasis was on method and not content. There was virtually nothing provocative in terms of subject matter, for obvious reasons!

My guess is this will change with the next generation. Parents want their kids (yes, they can have more than one) to have it better than they did. Department stores in China now have toy departments much like western stores - something you never would have seen in China just 4 or 5 years ago. Unlike now, when this generation grows up work will not be their whole life, they'll seek hobbies and diversions. I could be wrong...

Gifts to team members in China

I have given several exotic wood bowls to software development co-workers in China and they were graciously received. Turned wood objects were no mystery to them but the African wood species was new. I have seen turned wood artistic as well as utilitarian objects when there on business but agree that a space-hungry hobby has to be an exception.

Back