• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning at Anderson Ranch

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
A little self promotion here. My friend Dan Bailey and I will be teaching at Anderson Ranch on Snowmass Village, CO July 4-8. The class is "Carving for Woodturners", but we will work on turning skills as much as wanted/needed. Anderson Ranch is a world class facility, and my favorite place to teach. The setting is beautiful, the facility first rate, and the food is out of this world. Dan is a great turner and carver, and we have done a number of classes together over the years including a couple at the Ranch.

Although I'm hoping to get a few more folks signed up that are particularly interested in what we will be doing, there are other turning classes as well, Dave Ellsworth and Jacques Vesery included. Also some first rate furniture and other wood classes in the Maloof wood barn.

The cool thing is that AAW and Furniture Society members get a 25% discount, and there is a similar discount for bringing a friend, and there is a scholarship program as well-due in early March I believe.

This is the link to the page for our class, and it's easy to have a look around. I have a PDF with some more info I can send, but you'll need to email me.

Thanks for looking.

John

http://andersonranch.org/workshops/courses/details/index.php?page=woodturning&id=2727

anderson Ranch

John- every 4-6 years our Vet orthopedic society meets in Snowmass. I have driven by it in the past. We have out meeting there in 2 weeks(Mar5-12). The middle of the day is "free" from meetings-I don't ski anymore after 3 shoulder surg, but fly fish. I will have a car-Is it possible to drop by there just to see the inside of the place even thou nothing is "going on" ?? Gretch

Is it possible to drop by there just to see the inside of the place even thou nothing is "going on" ?? Gretch

Gretch,

I did the same thing a few years ago. What I did was go to the main office and explain why I was there. They allowed my to roam freely and take pictures as needed.
There may be an artist "in residence" and they ask that you don't disturb them. The artist we encountered was a potter and he seemed to be used to visitors popping in and did not seem to mind the interuption.

Anderson ranch with John Jordan & Dan Bailey

I attended a 5 day course at Anderson ranch, with John and Dan, a few years ago. They are great instructors. The course focused on surface treatments, and I am still practicing and experimenting from things I learned. The woodturning studio is superb. The entire artsy environment was such an inspiration for me. The staff at the ranch were so very helpfull. Before I met these guys I chopped wood. Now I create beautiful pieces by letting my bowl gouge slice through the wood.

Back