• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood turning handles

I am wondering how popular the wood turning multi handles are? That is handles such as Vermec. Porforme, Oneway etc

So what do you use?

What diameter does it take?

If you have more than one whats your favourite?

What are its draw backs if any?

My all time favorite handle is one I bought from Dave Peebles and next in line is one from Dennis Yoder. The Sorby handles are useless in my opinion. I have some from Oneway and find them too heavy, especially the long one, but are satisfactory on the Oneway coring system. The stock handle on Crown tools are OK with me. Handles the come stock on tools used for short times like parting tools and such make little difference to me. I like to be able to remove tools from handles for travel and prefer them to be drilled for different sizes on each end to accept different tools.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use the handles from Bigstick tools. They use R8 collets so they may not be for everyone because they have very little tolerance for dimensions. I like them because it is very rapid to change tools, as long as they have the same shank size. www.bigsticktools.com

Hughie, the handles that you speak of will probably never take over from wooden handles, as they cost money (and don't suit some people) however, they do have many advantages.(generalized)
1.If your traveling there is no wood to worry about (customs etc)
2.You can remove the tools for sharpening.
3. they can be lengthened when needed (some designs)
4. they can be filled with lead etc (for vibration/balance etc, very much a personal preference)
5. generally robust, so may not break like some wood 'could' ( heavy work)
6. some have foam grips for better grip and comfort.
etc,etc

Then if you talk about collet handles they can have numerous advantages.
Particularly if the 'right' collets are used. (some can be 'limited') One brand of handles for example use ER collets which have a 1mm tolerance, and the collets are available in 1mm increments. So you can fit 'almost' any round tool in the handle.
Collets are great if you don't want to damage the tool shaft (like grub screws do) and are much quicker when changing tools eg: when hollowing etc.

There are too many advantages to list here.
I am interested that you mentioned Vermec,(beautifully made products IMO) also inquire about the new Kelton handles. (just released)
There are numerous manufacturers, however I don't know if anyone has ever compared them all against each other.

I hope this helps.
Glenn

Back