• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood identification help

F94DB162-EEF0-4140-974E-0509D3B298BE.jpegCCEF10A3-1B60-4ED7-8C7E-FAB9FA594314.jpegI brought home a few pieces of this tree today, cut on a city lot. I’ve tried to key it out and I’m coming up with persimmon or sourgum. No experience with either of them. Do either of those sound correct? Any other ideas? Thanks!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Maybe Basswood. I’m not real familiar with basswood. I does grow in MD. we got a couple trees when we lived in MD
It is a soft light weight wood. duck carvers like it.

Check out this short video

Persimmon is dense and heavy.
Balsam poplar- grows naturally much further north but could be a planted tree.

Last edited:
Maybe Basswood. I’m not real familiar with basswood. I does grow in MD. we got a couple trees when we lived in MD
The leaves are much to small to be basswood and the bark is also not right for basswood. Note I live on Basswood lake and my address is on Basswood Lake Road in the MN lakes area so I have plenty of examples of basswood on my 5 acres and the majority of the land on the lake that is not developed.

The leaves are much to small to be basswood and the bark is also not right for basswood. Note I live on Basswood lake and my address is on Basswood Lake Road in the MN lakes area so I have plenty of examples of basswood on my 5 acres and the majority of the land on the lake that is not developed.
so which of the six? houses is yours?

I’m not inclined to think balsam poplar, as we are below it’s range, although yes, it could be planted. Also leaf stems are completely round. Balsam poplar stems may be round or slightly flattened. Also the leaves are less heart shaped than poplar, more symmetrically elliptical. FWIW, these pieces are from a large branch that broke off high up the trunk. I’ll go look at the bark on the lower main trunk and see if that helps. Thanks for all the brainstorming!

Edit: JOHN, I’ve used the US FPLab in the past. Good suggestion as a last resort. We’ll see if I get that far…

so which of the six? houses is yours?
There are only 4 permanent residences on the lake with 2 of them on Basswood Lake road and 2 on Basswood road and they are on the SE end. There are 3 small cabins with 1 between me ( farthest south) and the other of the SE permanent residence. The SW cabin has electricity and indoor plumbing then the hunting camp on the W and the small cabin on the NW do hot have electricity and are seldom used.

There are at least three basic varieties of basswood/Linden around in the US. American Linden has the giant, plate sized leaves and is probably what Don has in his woods. Then there is the "little leaf Linden", with leaves varying from aspen sized to palm sized. The third variety is the "Redmond" Linden, which may be a horticultural creation from a cross of the first two. The leaves on it are generally in the palm size range. None of them has quite the correct leaf shape, which is asymmetrical, if I remember correctly.

The leaves are deep green and also not quite right for any western poplar, but who knows what you guys in crab land have growing.

4CD4D117-23E7-418B-8441-A3F3C9FC7D77.jpegIn case anyone is still interested in further clues, here’s a slice from one of the logs when I removed the pith and cut blanks. Also, the odor was somewhat objectionable - sort of sour, FWIW.

To me the leaves have the typical Dogwood veins and shape, though there are a number of Dogwoods and hybrids of them and not all are the same but for the veins.

I hold it as a Dogwood tree, certainly not Balsam or other Poplar, they grow all around here and I can tell them from a distance.

OK I think I found the species and and leaves and bark plus another Dogwood shrub leaves, you will see the typical (TO ME) Dogwood leaves with the veins.

This is also called giant Dogwood

cornus-controversal-leaf1.jpg Cornus-controversa-bark.jpgDogwood leaves.jpgCornus-nuttallii-leaves.jpg

Last edited:
Leo, you make an interesting argument, but I did not consider dogwood because of the size of the tree. The pieces I got are from an upper branch that broke out of the tree, about 10” in diameter. The main trunk is more like 16-18” diameter. I’ve never seen dogwood anywhere near that size, but I am open to the possibility. I’ll keep investigating.

I have seen a couple of dogwood trees that were in the 18 inch diameter trunk size. They are not common that size. One I drive by a couple of times a week is the Pacific Dogwood, and it has beautiful green flowers that turn white as they age. I drool every time I drive by...

robo hippy

Leo, you make an interesting argument, but I did not consider dogwood because of the size of the tree. The pieces I got are from an upper branch that broke out of the tree, about 10” in diameter. The main trunk is more like 16-18” diameter. I’ve never seen dogwood anywhere near that size, but I am open to the possibility. I’ll keep investigating.
Lou there is a good reason that it is called GIANT DOGWOOD, the info I found tells me it can grow as tall as 60 feet, more commonly in the 40 feet range.

Here is some. info on it.
Giant Dogwood.jpg

Lou, one of the things that struck me when I first looked at your picture is that the leaves sprout in a cluster. This seems like a very distinctive feature, not shared by many trees in my neck of the woods. When you find a scientific description that seems to fit, this would be something they should mention, even emphasize.

Definitely not cottonwood as Leo says, the leaves are very different. I like the idea of dogwood. I’ll ask the neighbors who told me about the tree if they’ve noticed flowers in the spring. Dean, I agree about the leaf clusters, which I think are consistent with Leo’s dogwood idea.

Check out this short video

Persimmon is dense and heavy.
Balsam poplar- grows naturally much further north but could be a planted tree.

FYI, Basswood/linden has been planted over the last 30 yrs in shopping center and office park parking lots here 45 miles north of Baltimore. So much that birds are now spreading the seeds. I have 10 or 15 saplings growing in my hedgerows. I am 20 miles north of Whiteford MD. I have seen it in fence rows there too, whether American=native, European (Lime) or hybrid, I don't know.

Here are a couple pictures to compare Linden an Giant Dogwood bark and leaves, where it will be clear of the difference between the two.

Dogwood leaves.jpg
BASS or LINDEN TREE LEAVES
Linden leaves.jpg

GIANT DOWOOD BARK
Giand Dogwood bark.jpg

LINDEN TREE BARK
Linden tree bark.jpg

Leo, I think (once again) you’ve pegged it. I’ve asked someone who lives near the tree if they’ve noticed the white flowers in the spring. They don’t recall, but will be asking neighbors. Everything I read about giant dogwood fits my specimen. Thank you all for your brainstorming!!

Dang it Leo, now I am going to have to try and find some seeds for that giant dogwood. Maybe get some seeds off of that one big tree I know of.... I probably won't live long enough to harvest it, but it would be nice to have.... Wish I had more acres to plant trees on....

robo hippy

As much as I was intrigued by the idea of something like giant dogwood, I’m afraid the Forest Products Laboratory agrees with many of you who said a poplar species (i.e. balsam poplar). They only identify genus and not species, but I think we can rule out cottonwood due to the leaves. That points towards balsam poplar. An interesting proocess. Thanks everyone who expressed an opinion!1693415546381.png

As much as I was intrigued by the idea of something like giant dogwood, I’m afraid the Forest Products Laboratory agrees with many of you who said a poplar species (i.e. balsam poplar). They only identify genus and not species, but I think we can rule out cottonwood due to the leaves. That points towards balsam poplar. An interesting proocess. Thanks everyone who expressed an opinion!
I do not agree with Poplar, especially Balsam Poplar leaves, look that up, and you will see a different shape and color, the reason I said I can tell that from a distant is for the color of the Balsam leaves on the tree, it is quite easy to see.

Balsam tree.jpg
Balsam tree leaves.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Populus is a genus of 25–30 species of deciduous flowering plants in the family Salicaceae, native to most of the Northern Hemisphere. English names variously applied to different species include poplar (/ ˈpɒplər /), aspen, and cottonwood.

(The above from Wikipedia)

So, One would think, if one were curious enough , to look up all the species and see what different names fall under that .. (Might be some form of dogwood in the list?)

Might be some form of dogwood in the list?)
Dogwood is a different genus completely. Cornus. Characterized, among other things, by opposite leaves. In forestry school, I was taught the mnemonic MADCapHorse (maple, ash, dogwood, Caprifoliaceae, horsechestnut) were the primary species with opposite leaves. All other deciduous trees are alternate. There may be exceptions, but dogwood is not one of them.

Back