• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood ID help

My neighbor has a tree that he wants to remove a bunch of branches from and said I could have some. It's not a tree from around here and was planted by the previous owner. In the spring it is covered with flowers and smells really sweet. Anyone have an idea what it could be? Pics included. Thanks for any help!!
IMG_9112.jpgIMG_9115.jpgIMG_9116.jpg

The seeds in particular indicate basswood (US) = linden (European). I had one in my front yard in Toronto where it was "linden". Definitely fragrant when in bloom.

Linden is great for carving. The stuff I have turned was a little boring. Very bland and blond wood, no interesting grain. Having said that, there’s nothing better than free wood.

One of my sisters was an "interpreter" at a wild life sanctuary out side of KC. They had a Linden tree that went down on the property, and she asked me what to do about it. I told her to see if she could find a carving club. She did, and they took all of it. This is what almost all of the old carousel animals are carved from.

robo hippy

Back