• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood ID again

Had a tree come down due to being rotten at the trunk base. Didn’t pay much attention thinking it was ordinary poplar. Cutting it up it was not the normal greenish poplar. Best I can tell it is Balsam Poplar, but that is not native to my area. I thought maybe hackberry, but really doesn’t match IMO. The leaves are too dry now, but they looked like poplar leaves.

IMG_3943.jpeg IMG_3934.jpeg

Closeup endgrain

IMG_3949.jpeg

It isn't like any hackberry I have seen. My local species is sugarberry, but it's pretty much the same wood. The grain and color of sugarberry are very plain. That wavy end grain pattern is reminiscent of hackberry and elm, but it isn't dramatic enough.

IMG_20230901_091721.jpg

Had a tree come down due to being rotten at the trunk base. Didn’t pay much attention thinking it was ordinary poplar. Cutting it up it was not the normal greenish poplar. Best I can tell it is Balsam Poplar, but that is not native to my area. I thought maybe hackberry, but really doesn’t match IMO. The leaves are too dry now, but they looked like poplar leaves.

View attachment 66437 View attachment 66439
Yes a Poplar species, probably just a regular Poplar, problem is that these species do hybridize in the wild, probably why it is all very often called Popple, as there is no easy way to tell them all apart, besides the bark does change a lot as the trees grow larger, and leaves are not there large part of the year, it all makes PULP.

So yes from smooth bark to very high ridged as shown here in these pictures I made

Poplar tree.jpg Poplar tree bark.jpgbalsam poplar leaves.jpg
I find that the leaves throughout most of the year show this brown on the bottom side of the leaves, it is the easy way to tell the Balsam Poplar apart from the other Poplar species.

The greenish wood color the OP mentioned is probably not from a Poplar tree but the Tulip tree that is often called (incorrect) Tulip Poplar, and not a Poplar or related to the Poplar species, but a Magnolia species.

And since this tree had been standing dead before it fell over, and then lay down, it is no wonder the wood color is all gray and streaked.

Last edited:
And since this tree had been standing dead before it fell over, and then lay down, it is no wonder the wood color is all gray and streaked.
Leo thanks for the information. The tree was “mostly” alive when the base rotted out. Could be mineral stains as it was right next to a soy bean/corn field and water drained that way. Ii guess I’m just use to seeing green color wood when I hear poplar.

Back