• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood bleach and Holly

I have a holly vessel that I have turned that had already stained before I turned it. If I use wood bleach on it will it bleach the holly back to the typical white color of holly? Or would I be better off leaving it as is.

Stacey

Stained with what? If it's mildew, bleach should take care of it. Works less well with stains from spalting fungi. The sugar (caramel?) stains that come out when green wood is spun are best washed, sanded and washed, in my experience.

I'm not sure. I would guess that it might be spalting. Everything that I have is usually splated by the time I get to turning it.
Stacey

If it's a bluish Green then it's probably from high sap and or mineral. I haven't done it myself but I'm told it bleaches out pretty easy. Brian

I recently bleached a holly vase that had turned blue/green, and it came out several shades lighter - almost pure white. I used the Kleen-Strip 2-part bleach, and gave it 2 treatments. I'm very happy with the results. It did raise the grain, so it's a good idea to raise the grain first and resand before bleaching. The bleaching doesn't go too deep, so be careful when you're sanding.

Scott

Back