• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Why is this guy using spindle gouge

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
He's doing end grain hollowing, essentially spindle turning. A spindle/detail gouge is a very good tool for that. It's the tool I most often pick up for that task (having first learned to do it that way in a Richard Raffin workshop long ago). Others use a bowl gouge, scrapers or various carbide tools and even forstner drills to do similar things. The spindle gouge is probably a bit trickier, but is fast and makes a clean cut and you don't need to change tools as you work the inside and outside.

The big no-no is using a tanged spindle roughing gouge to hollow a bowl. The geometry of the of the flute shape is all wrong-- the wings will be in the way and catch, and the tang is not strong enough for the forces exerted, which can bend it badly or in the worst case turn the tool into a projectile when it breaks off.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Forstner is fine for hogging out material, but dosen't leave a very nice bottom for a scoop. Get one without a point, or file the point off to leave a flat bottom. I'd prefer a rounded cup shape in the inside of a scoop myself. A round scraper will do it nicely and easily.

Here's a link to a video of Raffin doing it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46F7AnY8I9A

Forstner is fine for hogging out material, but dosen't leave a very nice bottom for a scoop. Get one without a point, or file the point off to leave a flat bottom. I'd prefer a rounded cup shape in the inside of a scoop myself. A round scraper will do it nicely and easily.

Here's a link to a video of Raffin doing it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46F7AnY8I9A
Oh I didn't know I could do it just with scraper. That sounds better.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I thought it was not safe for hollowing? I want to try this project. Would bowl gouge be more safe? How would you do it?
Guy on you tube making scoops
Good answers above it is hollowing a spindle.
Scoops, goblets, small vases are usually hollowed and then the outside turned to thickness.
Richard Rafan is the one to watch.

The backhollowing cuts the surface nicely but has a learning curve…
See shavings I get.
292B3884-500B-49FE-A168-65B6146E20FF.gif

Last edited:
Well, of course, scrapers.... They work well for end grain hollowing. I would use a smaller scraper for hollowing a scoop like these, like no more than 1/4 inch, so more of a hollowing tool rather than big bowl scraper. I do like NRSs (negative rake scrapers) for finish cuts inside a scoop or boxes. For a scoop like these, I would go with a smaller one. I have tried that spindle gouge back hollowing cut, and can do it, but have a long way to go before I can claim to be good with it. Richard has a bunch of recent videos up on You Tube. In one of them, he talks about that cut. He said the secret is to not let the nose of the gouge engage the wood other than for drilling. So, when you start to move from center to the outside, pull the gouge out a bit so the nose is not in the wood. I do keep my gouge on the rest and on the side near me, not up in the air. Maybe some day.

robo hippy

Back