• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's New is Old ?

A friend gave me his collection of older “American Woodturner†going back to the early 1990’s when Alan Lacer was president, and I have been looking through them as time allows. The articles are very interesting and well written. There are lots of interesting people that we would recognize readily today. An interview with Bob Stocksdale, commentary by James Prestini, Palmer Sharpless, and David Ellsworth, projects by Bob Rosand, Mark Sfirri, Ray Allen, Bonnie Klein, Observations by Wally Dickerman, Clay Foster, Christian Burchard, and the list goes on and on. Some very interesting stuff .Art vs. craft discussion even 15 years ago. Journal with too much emphasis toward art, too much toward beginner projects argument.Lots of amazing segmented work, carved, textured, sculptural pieces, magic wands, beautiful bowls. Even basket illusion pieces. (not done by David Nittman.) Unfortunately in Black and White though. We are lucky today to have our journal in color. We are also lucky to have many of the same people still actively involved in this organization. I’d like to thank all the original founding turners for their foresight and dedication in creating and sustaining this organization, as well as those who have kept it going and growing to make it what it is today-OUTSTANDING!

These older journals are very interesting reading. Check them out if you get a chance.

So is there really anything new under the sun???

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Don, one of the things that really sets us (woodturners) apart is the willingness to share. In most other craft/art forms, artisans are very reluctant to share their secrets or methods of work. Why do woodturners “share� I’m not sure. Are we less competitive? Or are we just nicer people? Regardless, I think it’s the “sharing†that is at least partially responsible for the growth of woodturning.

“So is there really anything new under the sun???†Most definitely. A visit to this year’s instant gallery in Portland will be a completely different experience compared to 20 years ago and I suspect in another 20 years, the evolution will be continuing. Perhaps there are not dozens of new techniques every year, but there always seems to be something new and of course there are always many more people putting their own “spin†on what others before them have done The phase, “spring boarding†comes to mind.

I agree...

...totally Malcolm. The eagerness with which turners share their knowledge is truly amazing. I know I would not be as far along as I am without it. I have tried to do the same with the knowledge I have been so freely given.

One observation, somewhat humorously made, is that the Craft vs. Art, Inspiration vs. Plagiarism, enhanced vs. tradtional " discussions" often bantered about today, were just as prevalent 15 years ago.

I wish I could be there in Portland to see what's new in this years' Instant Gallery. "Spring Board" is an excellent way to describe what is happening in the turning world. One idea or concept brings forth another and another and on it goes. While I'm still working on technique and form before I attempt to venture outside the envelope, I am inspired and awed by the work produced both today and years ago. I hope others are as well. It's great fun reading these older journals. And thanks Brian for the link.

Website
www.marleyturned.com
tahoeturner said:
Don, one of the things that really sets us (woodturners) apart is the willingness to share.

I agree!

Malcolm,
Thanks for sharing in so much detail too.
I love your book.

Larry

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
tahoeturner said:
Don, one of the things that really sets us (woodturners) apart is the willingness to share.......
Since taking up woodturning as a hobby when I retired a few years ago I have found that what you say is quite true. Regardless of how the sharing tradition came to be, it seems apparent to me that it has been to the greater benefit of woodturning. I strongly suspect that this sharing and growth has raised public awareness of the art and additionally by attracting so many new people to turning as a pastime, I think that it has enabled the evolution to progress in great strides. One obvious area of growth is in the area of tools as manufacturers have spotted an opportunity which has lead to rapid development in lathes, chucks, and turning tools. The proliferation of books is another area that has benefitted greatly from this willingness to share knowledge. I also strongly suspect that creative ideas have also greatly benefitted based upon looking through old books and magazines and seeing what was around thirty years ago. I believe that without the AAW, the "state of the art" would probably still be very close to what could be found a few decades ago.

Bill

Malcolm brings across very interesting information relative to sharing among woodturners. Without the sharing, I don't think that woodturning would be anywhere near the level of expertise as we find in the instant galleries today. It is and was a necessity, for all of us to share our ideas. On the other hand, we are advised not to plagerize anyone elses ideas. It is very hard to come up with original material, unless we delve off into the artistic side of turning. In order to learn the concepts of turning, we must turn to someone elses original ideas - but yet not plagerize their work. This is a very fine line we must walk. I am very glad that our senior turners are so willing to share, for without them I don't think that I would really be very far at this point, only 5 years after retirement.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Absolutely

Bill, as you and Malcolm have said, the sharing has been remarkable and has contributed significantly to the advance of woodturning. While it may not be clear where I am, :D , I wouldn't be close had Bob Rosand not been so generous with his help. I have benefitted greatly from his help and counsel. Another great help has been the collection of all Jimmy Clewes' DVD's, which I strongly recommend to everyone.

Another source of sharing that many have been helped by is the Skill Enhancement sessions that many clubs hold in various formats. I was in the Capital Area Woodturners, which is based in northern Virginia and reaches into DC and the Maryland suburbs. Don Riggs and C.A. Savoy have given a lot of help to lots of folks in CAW. Dick Krehling hosted many turning sessions and he extended his hospitality to many of us who remain grateful. So, my point is that I salute all those who have hosted sessions for others.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
tahoeturner said:
Don, one of the things that really sets us (woodturners) apart is the willingness to share. In most other craft/art forms, artisans are very reluctant to share their secrets or methods of work. Why do woodturners “share� I’m not sure. Are we less competitive? Or are we just nicer people? Regardless, I think it’s the “sharing†that is at least partially responsible for the growth of woodturning.

Looking back on the first issues, it's plain to see that the AAW promoted that sharing attitude from the very start.
I have the 2-CD set of back issues also, and always get a chuckle when someone brings up a "new" issue that had been already been discussed at great length years ago.

from the cover of issue 1, volume 1:

Attachments

• aaw.jpg
    aaw.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back