• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What type of aluminite epoxy would be best to use?

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Here is my question I want to make a wood and resin bowl. I will use old burl pieces and pour epoxy over and into voids to fill up plastic mold bowl I plan to use. It will be about a 10" x 5 " area. Can I use clear cast 1 to 1 for the pour, or is their a different type I should use. Since I already have some 1 to 1 . I want to know if it will work even if you would recommend a different type that is better for a pour like this? I will be using my California pressure pot for curing. Believe they recommend 40lbs of pressure, How long do I need to keep it under pressure? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks guys

Breck

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
With a pressure pot, I would use Alumilite slow, you can get it from www.turntex.com . Slow and regular are mostly the same but slow gives you more working time. You really only need to have it under pressure for an hour to be safe.
as for the wood I would make sure it is really dry as water will cloud the resin and too much water will make it foam.

Steve's right about the dry wood. Lately I have been putting any natural ingredients like pine cones, walnut shells, acorns, and wood into the oven for an hour at 225 F to dry out out before a pour.
I use Clear/ Slow Alumilite and leave it in the pot overnight. I still give it another full two days to cure before turning.

Website
Thank you very much for everyone's answers and advice, Since I have a couple gallons of aluminite clear already I will try a pour using it because I can't afford to buy more at this time.
With a pressure pot, I would use Alumilite slow, you can get it from www.turntex.com . Slow and regular are mostly the same but slow gives you more working time. You really only need to have it under pressure for an hour to be safe.
as for the wood I would make sure it is really dry as water will cloud the resin and too much water will make it foam.
Steve, like I mentioned above I already have a couple gallons of aluminite clear is this what you are referring to as regular?

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
Thank you very much for everyone's answers and advice, Since I have a couple gallons of aluminite clear already I will try a pour using it because I can't afford to buy more at this time.

Steve, like I mentioned above I already have a couple gallons of aluminite clear is this what you are referring to as regular?
what type do you have amazing clear cast or alumilite clear. The amazing clear cast is measured by volume and the alumilite clear is measured by weight. I prefer the ones that are measured by weight you can be much more accurate with measurements that way. They also have different set times. Alumilite clear is measured in minutes. Amazing clear cast is hours. If you have amazing clear cast you need to be carful with the volume of your pours. If you pour to much at one time it can generate to much heat.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

Any of them will work.

The exact product you have is unclear to me, no pun intended. There is an Alumilite Clear and there is an Alumilite Clear Cast. Clear Cast is an epoxy. Clear, Water Clear and Clear Slow are Urethane. Epoxy won't need a pot, urethane will.

Website
Steve sorry it took so long to answer back. Thank you for your knowledge it all helps. I made my first deep pour around an oak burl roughed out bowl we will see how it comes out. I pray all the tips and information I got from all the turners here will have given me a much better chance at success. Turned out the two gallons of resin I bought for the deep pours was aluminite clear slow so it is my pot as I write this. Steve what I was trying to ask you but didn't really know enough to form my question correctly, was can I use the Aluminite clear cast epoxy for a deep pour in a pinch instead of clear slow urethane? I bought the clear cast for shallow pours around the rim of a few large bowls and it works great, without a pot of course. I was just wondering if I could use it kinda like the clear slow?
Thanks

Back