• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What should I look for in buying this lathe

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have a chance to buy a Jet Lathe. I think the model number is JWL1838. The current Jet lathes are white in color but this one is blue so I'm thinking its about 10-15 years old. The person selling is asking $700.
This includes the chucks, centers etc but not turning tools. He has the manual. What else should I be asking about this lathe and is this a good price?? There is no rust on it as far as I can see.
The speed control seems to stick a little bit. Should I have him chuck a piece of stock?? Any information will be appreciated.

Several important things
Swing -the diameter of bowl you could turn.
hp- I wouldn't want any less than 1 horse power
does it have a pivoting headstock to turn outboard.
I would definetly want to turn on it first.
Hard to say about the price without knowing what it is.
I would go to jets website and see which one it resembles the most and see what the price is.

I don't recognize the model number you listed however, considering how Jet identifies their models, a JWL1838 should have an 18 inch swing and a 38 inch bed. A comparable new model on today's market (1642) would run you about $1,700. I agree with the list of recommendations posted previously except that, for a lathe with an 18 inch swing, I'd insist on a minimum of 1 1/2 horse power motor.

Back