• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What kind of wood is this?

Anyone recognize this wood species? I'm told it is some sort of citrus that grown the Florida around Tampa & St. Petersburg.
The heartwood is a dark rich brown & the whiter areas have a faint yellow tint that fades as it dries or is exposed to sunlight.
It turns well but the heart is very hard & the white tends to split. Might not be dry enough yet.
Thanks!
fruit wood 2.jpgfruit wood 1.jpg

Thanks to all for the information. I'm taking it the Hands On Woodturners meeting tonight to see if anybody there might have an idea.
I think the grapefruit idea might be correct. I got it a a wood dump in St. Petersburg.
Thanks again!
Bob

Back