• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

what does wood turning mean to you

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This article ran in the April 16 Tampa Trib.

It is a great promotion of woodturning built around quotes from avid turners.
getting in print helps all of us who turn wood whether our objective is fun or profit. Spread the word!

The article is in the attached PDF and in the text below.
Enjoy,
Al

By B.C. MANION

The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 16, 2008

Updated:

LUTZ - It can start out as a stump of ligustrum, a branch of sycamore or a chunk of African black wood and wind up as a bowl, a birdhouse or a decorative box.

The possibilities are endless - and that's what inspires the 96 men and women who belong to Tri-County Woodturners, a club that meets monthly at the Lutz Community Center.

Pat Hess, a member who lives in Town 'N Country, said sometimes she'll start out with the notion of making a vase, but as she's turning the wood she'll find that it's really better suited for a goblet or a bowl.

"I let the wood dictate to me what we're going to make," Hess said. "Mother Nature tells me."

Joe Rodriguez of Twin Branch Acres said he got hooked on wood turning because it satisfies his creative urges.

Jim Smith of St. Petersburg enjoys working with his hands and making things that combine beauty and utility.

Although Hess, Rodriguez and Smith are experienced wood turners, the club is open to anyone who has an interest in the craft.

The inaugural meeting of Tri-County Woodturners happened nearly a decade ago, on the back porch of Glenn Ploeckelmann's home on Friendship Lane in Lutz.

There were five men at that first gathering - Ploeckelmann, Adam Bugan, Gene Tyner, Charlie Mount and Carroll Robins.

The club originally drew from Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties but has since branched out - with members coming from at least a half-dozen counties.

They drive pickups, compact cars, SUVs and luxury sedans to the club's meeting the first Wednesday of each month to spend time with others who talk their talk.

Members range in age from 18 to the mid-80s, and although the group is mostly men, in recent years there have been an increasing number of women.

They share techniques, pass along tool tips and bring in items they have made to show other club members.

The wood turners are a generous lot, Hess said. If they discover a better way to do something or run across a useful tool, they spread the word.

"There are no secrets," she said. "It's an open book."

Each meeting features a demonstration.

At April's meeting, members watched with rapt attention as Rodriguez showed them how to transform a chunk of wood into a goblet.

Rodriguez shared pointers on safe practices in the workshop and passed along tips on tools and techniques.

Members could easily see what he was doing because a camera operator caught the action and projected it onto a big screen.

Rodriguez told club members that there are times you can be frugal in wood turning and times when you shouldn't scrimp.

You don't need top-of-the-line tools, he said, but you shouldn't reuse sandpaper.

"Use it sandpaper like someone else is paying for it. Once sandpaper is used, its characteristics are forever altered."

Ploeckelmann never tires of watching wood-turning demonstrations.

No matter how many times he's seen something done, he often picks up something new. He may find out about a tool, or notice a nuance in technique.

Like many pursuits, wood turning can be expensive.

Hess estimates she's spent thousands of dollars on her equipment. She has four lathes and about 20 wood-turning tools.

But it's not necessary to be wealthy to get into the craft, Ploeckelmann said.

Club members come from all walks in life. There is a politician, a payroll clerk and a professional photographer. There are electricians, truckers and lawyers.

Ploeckelmann got his start 14 years ago with a pen kit he received as a gift and a lathe he borrowed from a friend.

Tools can be simple or sophisticated.

To get started, though, a wood turner needs access to a lathe, a bowl gouge, a scraper, a parting tool and some wood, Ploeckelmann said.

Wood can be pricey but doesn't have to be.

Club members often share leads on free wood. They will find out about someone who wants to get rid of a felled tree and will get a group together to go out to cut up and cart off the wood.

Hess said members prefer to cut up the tree themselves because they know the cuts that work best for them.

Sometimes, the free wood comes from just next door.

Ploeckelmann recently finished a bowl that came from a stump of ligustrum that a neighbor gave to him.

Like many wood-turning enthusiasts, Ploeckelmann enjoys working with a variety of woods and has amassed a collection of planks, chunks, branches and stumps.

He gets a thrill as he chips away at wood to reveal its inner beauty.

Ploeckelmann wants to pass along the enjoyment of wood turning to a new generation of crafters.

That desire prompted the group to contribute lathes and tools and to share their knowledge with a wood-turners club at Sickles High School

Most wood turners have only one regret, Hess said. They wish they had started younger.

TRI-COUNTY WOODTURNERS

WHAT: This organization, which is a chapter of the American Woodturners Association, is a group of men and women who enjoy creating practical and decorative items by turning wood.

WHERE: Meets at Lutz Community Center, 98 First Ave. N.W., Lutz

WHEN: 7 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month

COST: Annual dues are $20 per family.

INFORMATION: Call (813) 948-2264 or go to www .tricountywoodturners.org.

Reporter B.C. Manion can be reached at (813) 865-1507 or bmanion@tampatrib.com.

Attachments

• 1 Good Turn Deserves Another TCWT.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 87
Hock,

Promoting turning and attracting new turners is IMO the easy part. Getting them to join an AAW Chapter and keeping them as long term members is a bit tougher. Getting folks interested in joining the AAW is the most difficult.

joining AAW

Getting folks interested in joining the AAW is the most difficult.

everbodies situation is different, the woodturning clubs in my area i would have to drive an hour to meetings, for some no problem, for me, maybe after i retire from work. for now no club but membership in the AAW gives me a very broad range of turners and turning styles. i have learned a lot through reading and asking questions on this board and attending reginal symposiums that were posted on this board or magazine. :D

Hock,

Promoting turning and attracting new turners is IMO the easy part. Getting them to join an AAW Chapter and keeping them as long term members is a bit tougher. Getting folks interested in joining the AAW is the most difficult.

Raises the questions 'how is the message getting out there' and 'what's the value proposition in joining'?

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Interesting and nice article, Al. The subject is "what does woodturning mean to you" and the above responses turned it to getting people to join the national organization. Maybe they figured since you posted this, it only means trying to get more members and I read it wrong?

What woodturning means to me is equal creativity and paying the bills. The creative part doesn't pay the bills but adds a few dollars here and there, my spindle turning and reproduction work has been my living for 18 yrs. Reproducing a finial for a 250 yr. old bed is fun. I've learned and remember dates so much better now than I ever did in History in high school. One primitives antique dealer would bring me a chair needing a spindle (example), date it and tell me what was happening in the country at that time.

I use turning for fun and to make mulch for the garden. If a particular piece of wood is just plain fun, big curls flying, I'll just turn it down to a toothpick smiling the whole time. When I'm stressed about something I have no control over, I put a big chunk of wet wood on the lathe and play, using each of the tools I'm not as comfortable with as I should be, so that woodturning is therapy and a great distraction.

If I start a bowl, either the shape or the wood doesn't thrill me, I sort-of finish it, every Sunday my neighbor's 3 yr. old great-grandson comes to visit, in his tiny voice he asks "I help you, Rufie?" I tell him I need him to color a bowl, give him crayons and he glows with confidence as he scribbles using every color then tells me he'll "help" me again next week. That's a part of woodturning................ to me and Bradon. :)

Sorry guys, but "woodturning" does not mean AAW to me. I love the AAW and the camaraderie. Yes, there is also a lot of education and help with new tools, techniques and what's "In" and this forum, but when I'm turning, it's just me and The General.

Ruth

What wood turning means to me

I love working with my hands-I love wood. I have to be busy all the time. The lathe allows me to keep busy in the winter and when the sun doesn't shine the rest of the year. My family has grown and I can now do what I want-Only work (My "day job")about 25% of the time and it frees me up to do more wood turning. I can even pay sand paper bills with my selling. Yes Ruth, the side effects are the mulch. I have 30 large (40gal) bags waiting to mulch the trees and eventually the paths in the gardens (just got to superficially rototill yesterday-more today-we have had it so wet-my poor sump pump has been running once/minute for the last 8-10 days). I am not particularly artistic-I let the wood do it for me-I do alot of spalted woods, natural edge,crotches and have lots of colors (natural), sizes and shapes. All one-of-a-kind. It's so nice to make something so inherently beautiful and enduring, rather than let it become mush in the forest, or firewood. In addition, my cadre of friends and co workers and family have become wood enthuseists and have become appreciative of quality. Well, back to the shop before the gardens call, Gretch

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hi Ruth

as you said, the Post was intended as an example of how the woodturning experience was shared in the Tampa Tribune, not for AAW recruiting. The more woodturning gets into the mainstream the more people look to turned objects to use and decorate their home.

Making toothpicks. hit home for me. I do this sometimes just making chips kind of mindless with maybe an attempt at exploring shapes an maybe testing my skill limits.
when I get an idea fro a new piece I often make a crude proto-type or two exploring proportion and relationships.

happy turning,
Al

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Al wrote: "........... The more woodturning gets into the mainstream the more people look to turned objects to use and decorate their home."

I have my work in 2 artisan galleries, when I see really nice work done by a turner who wants to sell his work, I give his website address or print a picture of his work and show it to the gallery owners. I figure the more turned work on display, the more the buying public appreciates woodturning, the more choice they have, the more they buy and tell their friends.

Guess that's my contribution to getting woodturning more recognized as decorations for the home and fine gifts.

Ruth

Ruth and Al, the four local chapters in our area combine forces once a year and do a 10 day charity affair at our county fair. We have folks that make a point to tell us that they have been visiting our "booth"(actually the porch of one of the buildings) for years to look at what's new and buy all sorts of items. Every year we get many inquires about starting to turn, because they see us as a group having a good time and making things with our hands. I know of several that have started but quit because they had a bad time trying to learn on their own. Others have managed to learn enough to keep them turning. Only a hand full have joined one of our chapters and fewer still are still with us. They learn a little and fall away for many different reasons. A visit to the local Rockler store gives one an idea of how the craft is growing. More supplies, books, videos, etc. and turning classes on week ends.

My point here is getting them interested is the easy part, instilling the knowledge and a passion to keep going is much more difficult. That's where the Chapters become important and by extension the AAW. I wasn't trying to recruit members or hijack the thread, just speaking in generalities, and my personal if limited experience. Sorry If I gave a wrong impression.:eek:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Hi Jake,
I think it all works together.

I also have observed that our activities get lots of folks interested.
The passion grows in some of them.

hopefully appreciation for woodturning will last with all of them.

=al

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Hey Jake, I didn't get any wrong impression. Your post was fine and, like Al said, it all works together. I wasn't sure if I responding with to the right meaning of Al's original post.

I think we all got it together now. :)

I know what you mean about clubs and having others to run things by or learn tips from and to keep the interest going. I know I'd be a lot better turner if there was a club near me.

Ruth

Back