• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What chuck to get for Nova 1624

My new Nova 1624 is on order and I am thinking of getting a Oneway Talon chuck. Is that going to be able to handle the 29 inch outboard stuff if I ever get to that?

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use the Vicmarc 100 and have turned 24" bowls and 28" platter. It's the same size as the Oneway so I think you wouldn't have any problems. Then tenon is actually the weak point at this stage. I would use larger jaws the the standard that comes with it although I did get by with mine.

Website
www.abhats.com
Chucks

Look at the available accessories & different jaw sets available for the chuck you're thinking of, and be certain they will meet your needs. Some manufacturers jaw sets don't fit different chucks that they make, some do. Each maker has different sizes and types also. If you've any idea of what you want to do on the lathe, you can narrow down the selection. I don't believe any of the major chuck makers has ever put out a bad chuck - some are just better at certain things than others.

The talon will be a great choice for 99% of what most people will ever likely turn with a 1624. Something like the stronghold would be a much better choice for the size of things that you might attempt outboard, but it is a bigger chuck and will be harder to work around for the under 16" stuff that will likely be the majority of your turning. If I were you (and I'm not) I would get the talon. When you do decide to try outboard, get a good quality faceplate and use that instead of the chuck.

I suspect that if you do get serious about doing a lot of very large pieces, you will be upgrading the lathe.

Ed

Why not a Nova? It'll certainly do as well as any other, and they've done a pretty good job of keeping their modernized chucks compatable with the existing jaws. If you go that way, be sure and get the "L" insert so you can use the grub screw to lock if you're going to reverse.

You have to look at their risk management folks' assessment of how large a piece a chuck or jaw set will safely turn with a critical eye. Note they give a diameter, which is a fairly meaningless though easily quantified measurement. Weight, weight distribution and rotation speed are the critical factors. If you're pretty well balanced, turning slowly and cutting rather than ripping, you can pretty much do any size piece on what come as standard jaws.

You won't have tailstock help once you swing out, so even this guy would use a faceplate for roughing. You want the threads to resist the dismount toward you while the shear resistance keeps you safe against any but gross imbalance. Once you're round or nearly so, you can use a recess you won't have to refinish or a tenon and figure out how you want to remove it after the interior's complete.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Woodpecker said:
My new Nova 1624 is on order and I am thinking of getting a Oneway Talon chuck. Is that going to be able to handle the 29 inch outboard stuff if I ever get to that?
I have a Talon and a Stronghold... I USE the Talon more often then not, on my mustard monster, BUT...
It's nice to have the extra strength and mass of the larger chuck when I do big things. SO, I am going to recommend spending the extra dollars on the Stronghold. If you ever get a bigger lathe, you will probably want one anyway, and it will work very well on your lathe. The jaws on the Stronghold are not interchangeable with those of the Talon, but the jaws for either are the same price (except for the jumbo jaws set), so once you get over the initial investment, additions will be the same... I always try to buy the larger tool, gives some extra advantages (in my mind).
OH!!! Tower jaws are GREAT, they add distance between you and the "hurty" part of the chuck, and it makes it easier to get behind the pieces you are working on.

Website
www.abhats.com
Chuck religious wars

As I thought this thread would become, before looking at a specific brand, figure out what you want to do and then select the one that best meets your needs. Too many folks want to push what they use without asking that simple question: "What are you going to turn the most?".

To take this further, I've three Nova chucks and one Vicmarc. The Nova line has completely interchangable jaws, which I like. The one flaw I've found is that the 'cole' jaws they have are too small for what I do. Vicmarc has those jaws in the sizes I need. Vicmarc's large chuck also has larger capability than Nova. Both manufacturers make very high quality products, as do all the others. Pick what meets your own needs above all else.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
waltben said:
To take this further, I've three Nova chucks and one Vicmarc. The Nova line has completely interchangable jaws, which I like. The one flaw I've found is that the 'cole' jaws they have are too small for what I do. Vicmarc has those jaws in the sizes I need. Vicmarc's large chuck also has larger capability than Nova. Both manufacturers make very high quality products, as do all the others. Pick what meets your own needs above all else.

That is also my issue with the Nova 'cole' jaws. However, rather then buy another brand for chuck to mount a jaw set, I added MDF extensions to my Nova cole jaws, and turn a reverse rim on them to grab the bowl I need to work on.

TTFN
Ralph

Back