• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wands anyone?

Well I've got a couple of 'em turned, but haven't a clue as to how to market them.

Does your mini run on gasoline? :D

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
underdog said:
Well I've got a couple of 'em turned, but haven't a clue as to how to market them.

Does your mini run on gasoline? :D

I made one up for a fellow co-worker a couple years ago. He came to me with the request for his son. Darn, I let that one get away without making a pic of it!

....odie

Ran a demo in my shop for a scout troop several years ago (merit badge thing), topic was spindles so the items were several magic wands. Turns out one of the kids' parents run a local bookstore. I receive a call last week about "possibly doing a turning thing with magic wands down at the store?" on the 21-22nd.

All I have to do is figure out how to get the Stubby out of the basement and moved downtown! ;)

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Here's a link to chew on:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/turning.pl?read=154233

Last year, one of the posters here or WoodCentral bought a mini jet and turned a bunch there with some already made. $15-$20 at the bookstore. Paid for the mini and more and ran the power from the bookstore. I can't find the link unfortunately, but for those of us who were a little spendy at the AAW conference, this may be a way to recoup some of our extravagance. Did I say extravagance? I meant offset our re-tooling expenses. :D

Food for thought anyways.

I'll be talking to a couple bookstores this weekend.

Brodie said:
Here's a link to chew on:

I note the lack of a shield between the lathe and the kids in the pix. I would not want to be the turner who blinded a kid with a blow-up. Yes, I know, "spindle orientation" etc., but it's still an unwise move.

mm

Mark Mandell said:
I note the lack of a shield between the lathe and the kids in the pix. I would not want to be the turner who blinded a kid with a blow-up. Yes, I know, "spindle orientation" etc., but it's still an unwise move.

mm

Aside from the possibility of injuring a child, or any on-looker for that matter, It may also be unlawful. Some states, New York for one, requires all machinery to be properly shielded when used in demonstrations before an audience.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
just myMark If I damage some kid while turning wands I'll just tale my wand and turn him/her into a frog.

Would this be considered a "demo" too? If it were, would your membership in the AAW (you are a member, aren't you :) ) cover you re: liability insurance should something go awry? :eek:
Don

Whut If????

GAWD....do we need 1" bullet-proof glass shields....or shock-proof plugs....chest protectors.....or wood that does not pose a risk when spinning....or dust that can poison and/or cause lung and skin and eye damage....and constant worry that SOMETHING will cause bodily or mental trauma that we may SUE over????? If you are that paranoid, maybe you had best find another (safer) form of entertainment where you do not feel so threatened!!! We need to ENJOY woodturning for what it is, not constantly fearing the tapping on the shop door by a blood-sucking attorney!!!! :mad: :mad:

Don Bradway said:
Would this be considered a "demo" too? If it were, would your membership in the AAW (you are a member, aren't you :) ) cover you re: liability insurance should something go awry? :eek:
Don

No. Not an AAW "sanctioned event."

Mr. Don said:
GAWD....do we need 1" bullet-proof glass shields....or shock-proof plugs....chest protectors.....or wood that does not pose a risk when spinning....or dust that can poison and/or cause lung and skin and eye damage....and constant worry that SOMETHING will cause bodily or mental trauma that we may SUE over????? If you are that paranoid, maybe you had best find another (safer) form of entertainment where you do not feel so threatened!!! We need to ENJOY woodturning for what it is, not constantly fearing the tapping on the shop door by a blood-sucking attorney!!!! :mad: :mad:

The attorneys you're so quick to attack have very little to do with it. It's their clients who have been conditioned to a litigeous society who are looking to retire on the insurance money. But,

I was thinking more about protecting the kids than myself. Your hyperbole notwithstanding, a 2' x 3' piece of 1/4" Lexan or Plexiglass in a simple frame would save a kid's magical day as well as her eyesight. If you resent having to take such minimal precautions in an activity from which you're deriving PROFIT, then stay safe in your shop and let others with a modicum of respect for their audience handle the public turning.

Last edited:

KEW

Mr. Don said:

You needn't concern yourself with any of this in your own shop. However, if you plan to do something in public and especially with children, it is important to evaluate risks.
You can also relax because no one would reasonably sue you unless an accident actually occurred and if you sincerely believe it impossible, there is no concern.
If my only concern was getting sued, I would probably consider the likelihood of an accident an acceptable risk. However, since there is an opportunity for a child to get hurt, it is unacceptable. If something did happen and a child got injured, I'd deserve to be sued!
I occasionally take calculated gambles with myself, but not others. No Way!

Cheers,
Kurt

Mark Mandell said:
The attorneys you're so quick to attack have very little to do with it. It's their clients who have been conditioned to a litigeous society who are looking to retire on the insurance money. But,

I was thinking more about protecting the kids than myself. Your hyperbole notwithstanding, a 2' x 3' piece of 1/4" Lexan or Plexiglass in a simple frame would save a kid's magical day as well as her eyesight. If you resent having to take such minimal precautions in an activity from which you're deriving PROFIT, then stay safe in your shop and let others with a modicum of respect for their audience handle the public turning.

Judging by the way this is written, I'd say that you are an attorney.

Hstudio said:
Judging by the way this is written, I'd say that you are an attorney.

Yup. As was my father for whom I worked for years. The bulk of his practice was negligence, and he attempted to train me to follow his lead. It soon became apparent that I would not, because my assigned duties were the initial client interviews where the factual basis for a claim gets laid out and review of documents and medical reports. All too often these people were constantly asking "how much will I get", complaining about having to post up-front money for disbursements and costs (even if fees were to come out of the recovery), and only slightly concerned about recovering from their "alleged" injury. People would actually ask me about "such and such" case with a 6 or 7 figure judgment they had read about in the newspapers. My Old Man only took about half the "cases" that walked through his office door, because the screening process weeded out the fakers and those who, even with a colorable claim, could prove little or no loss or damage or were at least as much at fault as "the other guy."

I was sued by a real estate appraiser who came to my house for a mortgage company on a refinancing deal. It had just rained and he came to the door after walking over the wet and slippery grass. He had to go back to his car to get his boots, so I showed him how to go through the house and avoid the wet grass and mud to get to his car. He declined and went back out the front. He then proceeded to slip on the same wet grass and break his leg. Totally his own fault, right? He sues and my insurance company paid him off over my protest saying, "He's a 65-year old diabetic with a broken leg and you're an attorney. The jury's gonna give him money. Go to trial if you wish, but do so by yourself because we'll be out of the case and you'll have no coverage." Even though I had no fault in the situation, and even though I tried to protect the guy from his own stupidity, he got a lot of money and my insurance premiums nearly doubled.

But it wasn't the guy's lawyer's fault. It was his, playing the litigation game. He even sent his wife out to sneak up to our house to take pictures of the yard several weeks later. When I politely directed her to leave, she got huffy saying, "What do you care, you've got insurance!"

end of rant

Speaking of insurance companies, I was in a car wreck. The other guy got the ticket for the wreck and sued me. I tried to tell this to my insurance company but they settled the case because "it cost them less in the long run". Somethings wrong where a person deemed by the police to be at fault still gets paid off.

Back