• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walnut crotch piece.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This will be my largest turning to date. It was around 18” by 3.5”.

Keep in mind that feather grain is often very thin
If you put a 1/2” tenon on the face we’re looking at you will loose much of the feather.

I using a glue block and a footless bottom will show som feather on the inside of a thin walled piece.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Al makes a good point re not losing the figuring in the bottom of your bowl when done. It would be easy to do if not careful. I ruined a few before I started paying very close attention to where the crotch figuring was going to end up on the piece. Working the bottom just enough to get it flat and a tenon, or glue block, that will support it. Work the inside to get the best figuring you can, then finish the bottom. When trying to balance a look between top and bottom I'll leave a small tenon on both sides and flip it back and forth a few times to work toward the finish line.

It's amazing how often this happens, I hope for ur bowl also

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Here it is rough turned.

Will be @ nice piece
Nice thick flame. You have lots of flame on the inside. You always get a bit more flame on the bottom.

As you know with these pieces the figured grain puts the grain in different directions so some grains will be cut in the wrong direction and may tear instead of cut.
Light cuts, sharp tools.
I find I can cut about 80% of the crotch bowls using a gouge without tearout. I end up switching to a scraper on the other 20% before the bottom gets too thin.

Will be @ nice piece
Nice thick flame. You have lots of flame on the inside. You always get a bit more flame on the bottom.

As you know with these pieces the figured grain puts the grain in different directions so some grains will be cut in the wrong direction and may tear instead of cut.
Light cuts, sharp tools.
I find I can cut about 80% of the crotch bowls using a gouge without tearout. I end up switching to a scraper on the other 20% before the bottom gets too thin.
Thanks for the tips. I have a negative rake scraper I will try if I have a problem area.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Hi Rusty...Looking good :)
Another little tip that I haven't heard mentioned....use lemon juice on the piece to try and slow down the degradation of the fruit wood / heart wood contrast.
The white will eventually turn brownish....
I have found that, here in Northern Michigan anyway, that this trick works on walnut & cherry to keep that contrast from dulling.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Lyle, glad to see you post this. Makes me feel confident I'm doing something right. I've been using lemon juice in a spray bottle to get rid of metal stains for a long time but a while back I started spraying my walnut and cherry pieces all over with a good coat before I put them up to dry. It does help.

Back