• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wall storage for this one?

My shop is in my basement.

I store all my lathe turning tools in tool cabinets and chests or on a cart that I load for the job. I want to put up some wall storage behind the lathe for tool rests, chucks, and hollowing systems components.

I recently upgraded my lathe and here it is in its dedicated spot. The wall you see behind it is 12" concrete block filled with rebar, concrete, and reinforcement. The big plumbing you see are sewer lines for that end of the house above. I am imagining building a stud wall to extend a bit beyond or bridge the plumbing. The wall could then hold whatever shelving or fixtures for what I mentioned above.

Any examples or ideas would be appreciated. Photos would be particularly helpful.

PXL_20240207_205639233.jpg

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I think your idea of a stud wall is right on. Sheet it with OSB or plywood so you can hang things anywhere without being restricted to studs. (mark where the plumbing is so you don't screw into it)
My personal preference would be to spin that lathe around so you can stand between it and the wall. Then anything you hang on the wall can be reached behind you and you don't have to lean over a spinning log to get your gouge (or whatever).
Here's a (very poor quality) pic of my lathe area. All my most-used gouges, chucks, tool rests, centers, etc are hanging on the wall. Other less-used stuff is in the red tool chest by the headstock. Everything, including grinder, is within no more than 1 or 2 steps away.
IMG_8578.JPG

Contrary to Dave, I prefer to have my lathe as yours is situated, for a couple reasons. First, I started that way and have never had problems reaching over the lathe to grab what I need, though I do have the gouges to the left of the headstock on a perpendicular wall. Second, and most importantly, I have a couple windows that I can look out through while at the lathe. I don't spend a lot of time sightseeing, but it's vital to me to be able to see out. You don't have that option, sounds like.

If you keep the arrangement as you have it, when you hollow out bowls, you will be shooting shavings from about where the head of your light is shown to the right, about as far as the 4plex box. Be aware and try to avoid putting things there that catch the shavings or shouldn't be getting wet from green wood shavings. The other place you'll be shooting shavings is over your left shoulder, and out into the room. A screen on a track is a nice feature to contain them. I use a couple cheap vinyl shower curtain liners, and they've proven very durable.

If you reverse the lathe, as Dave suggests, you'll be shooting the shavings into similar locations.

As Dave suggests, make your wall surface out of wafer board or plywood. I have had to put up 'rails' of 1X4 to be able to hang things, as I didn't know about making the whole wall, or at least 4 feet of height at the likeliest height, out of wafer board/plywood when I walled in the shop.

Personally, I would rather have the dust collector farther away or enclosed, due to noise, than where you have it. If you leave it there, you'll want ear plugs/muffs or noise cancelling gadgets. Same thoughts on a vacuum system and compressor, though it looks like you've solved that and have an air line installed right close.

Here's my untidy shop from the same pov:
IMG_0456.JPG
I have just enough room in my very small shop to work off the end of the lathe (if I move the tail stock from where it's resting on its side). Vinyl curtain drawn back from doing it's job of corralling shavings.

Last edited:
@Dave Landers & @Dean Center, Thanks gents for the photos and advice. It is much appreciated.

Dean, The only time I use that dust collector is when I am sanding and you're right about the noise. With my previous lathe I used to park it on the tailstock end of the lathe and a bit further away. But now I want to keep the tailstock end open for turning off the end. I can still move collector a bit further away or use the metal duct system that connects to a bigger cyclone at the moment.

I have some clear curtain up on the tailstock end but intend to add a lot more. I am going to research track and rail systems for that. Like most, I have other stuff in my shop that I want to isolate from all those shavings. After searching a bit I may start a separate thread on curtains.

I suggest a framed wall over the pipes/etc, faced with plywood with the pipe stacks clearly marked on the plywood so you don't accidentally drive a screw/nail into them. Screw the plywood into place so as to be easy to remove should you need to get to the pipes. On the plywood I would install strips of French cleats and design my tool holders for the cleats. This would allow you to use the entire wall surface and re-arrange as you like over time.

Like Dean I have the benefit of working around a window :). Also like everyone advises, I’d recommend firring out the block wall and putting something up you can hang things on. While a little more expensive, I love walking into my shop and seeing the tongue and groove pine instead of just chipboard or plywood; I ran it vertically so it would collect less dust. I also marked the floor by the wall where studs were, and any keep-outs (like plumbing) so I can hang objects into the studs easily when I want.

Keep the grinder close, and the dust collector and compressor far away. I also try to hang most things I use regularly close, but have a couple cabinets out of the pic filled with more stuff.

Have fun noodling and planning, easier to move around on paper than when you get to finally set everything up physically. BTW - nice lathe!!

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Well, I have tried shelves, and things still get lost.... I do have several of those stainless wire rack/shelf units that are on wheels. I can put every thing on them that I need, though I do have the grinders on wood benches. Some day I will put drawers in all the cabinets I have made...... I guess I could make a rolling tool cart with drawers also. When I get a round 2 it...

robo hippy

Well, I have tried shelves, and things still get lost.... I do have several of those stainless wire rack/shelf units that are on wheels. I can put every thing on them that I need, though I do have the grinders on wood benches. Some day I will put drawers in all the cabinets I have made...... I guess I could make a rolling tool cart with drawers also. When I get a round 2 it...

robo hippy
I got "round to its" running out my ears!

IMG_0651.jpegIMG_0636.jpegIMG_0637.jpegIMG_0652.jpegI used to have my turning tools on the wall but they kept collecting chips and I had to clean it all the time. When I moved into my new shop I was able to turn my lathe and I built a cart with drawers to hold everything. I have my go to tools on the side in pvc pipe. When I am turning something that requires rare tools I take them out of the drawer and set them on top, then put them back when done.

Back