• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wahuda tools lathe?

I think I remember someone talking about this brand, has anyone bought one?

My sister seems to think she wants to make ornaments etc. and the specs on the one I looked at had a 1hp with a 1 inch tool post, 1 1/4 spindle, #2mt's and 14 x 16 size.

I figured since I'm more than likely going to end up with it I can use my accessories I already have on it.

Just started researching and found the lathe.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I think of Wahuda as similar to Wen tools, and I have had excellent experiences with Wen products - if you are not terribly concerned about fit & finish and maybe have to do a little adjusting and aligning to set a machine up just right , once they are set up and adjusted, they are pretty reliable, IMHO. Not to say Wahuda will be equally as reliable, but I'd expect them , like many lower & mid range brands , to be coming off the same factory production lines to pretty much the same set of basic specs, using the same base parts.. and most of those factories are in China, some in India, and other Asian or far east countries.

I think this was mentioned in another thread which is how I found this one with the axminster name.

Looks to be the same machine (by looks anyway) with a different size spindle, color and name.

I think this was mentioned in another thread which is how I found this one with the axminster name.

Looks to be the same machine (by looks anyway) with a different size spindle, color and name.
If it's got a different sized spindle, then it's a much different lathe regardless of what the outside looks like.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If it's got a different sized spindle, then it's a much different lathe regardless of what the outside looks like.
This was pretty much true when we were younger :)

Itā€™s getting more common to find lathes available in multiple thread sizes especially the M33 x 3.5 as a second size.
This opens up non US markets.
Robust has been offering the optional M33x3.5 for quite a while.

Looks like I might have to be a guinea pig. Called to double check if they were in stock but it being a few minutes after closing on a friday I was too late. I think the selling point for me was in that review I posted about the axminster which even though the spindle is different sized I'm betting it's not too different a lathe. Kind of like what hockenbery mentioned. They were using an axminster sk114 chuck without any problems and that's the same chuck I use so all of my accessories will work with it.

@kent , In reality I wasn't looking for a budget lathe exactly. Just a small one for my sister who when I asked her a little bit ago where she planned to keep this she said "Here at my house because that's where the wood is". My response was "so you're coming down here to use it?" No. she figures I will.

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
Looks like I might have to be a guinea pig. Called to double check if they were in stock but it being a few minutes after closing on a friday I was too late. I think the selling point for me was in that review I posted about the axminster which even though the spindle is different sized I'm betting it's not too different a lathe. Kind of like what hockenbery mentioned. They were using an axminster sk114 chuck without any problems and that's the same chuck I use so all of my accessories will work with it.

@kent , In reality I wasn't looking for a budget lathe exactly. Just a small one for my sister who when I asked her a little bit ago where she planned to keep this she said "Here at my house because that's where the wood is". My response was "so you're coming down here to use it?" No. she figures I will.
How about the Craft Supplies USA midi lathe? Looks nice to me..... https://woodturnerscatalog.com/products/artisan-1420-evs-mini-lathe?_pos=10&_sid=fa174dd47&_ss=r

So she wants to get a lathe, then get you to use it to make her stuff?! šŸ˜ƒ
That's what little brothers are for I guess. If I can talk her into the extension I see the lathe goes as slow as 30 rpms so I'll use it for finishing. I can't complain.. earlier in the year I was whining that a band saw would be nice so she bought me a jet 18 inch one.

Website
www.studiocsh.com
For not much more ($1169 & free shipping at Acme Tools) I'd look at the Rikon 70-1420VSR. It shares the features that are compelling to some people about this one- 14" swing, 1" tool rest post, 1 1/4" x 8 spindle. Plus its, nearly 50 lbs heavier (137 lbs vs. 90lbs), has a bigger motor (1.5 hp), bed extensions that can also be parked outboard to increase swing, and from a company that seems to be building a good reputation for customer service and standing behind their products.

For not much more ($1169 & free shipping at Acme Tools) I'd look at the Rikon 70-1420VSR. It shares the features that are compelling to some people about this one- 14" swing, 1" tool rest post, 1 1/4" x 8 spindle. Plus its, nearly 50 lbs heavier (137 lbs vs. 90lbs), has a bigger motor (1.5 hp), bed extensions that can also be parked outboard to increase swing, and from a company that seems to be building a good reputation for customer service and standing behind their products.

That does look like a good option too. Already ordered the other one though. 137 pounds is a con for me because I'll be moving it around. I have my big lathe "22inch" if I need to do something bigger.

I have quite a number of Rikon tools. Customer service is amazing.

OK, The wahuda 14 inch lathe was delivered earlier and I got it out of the box and did the little bit of assembly it required.

Typical overseas instructions for assembly. (there wasn't any) But me being an above average bear it wasn't a problem. Extensive parts diagram/list though.

I have to say this lathe is super quiet and smooth. Maybe all small lathes are that way? I've only ever turned on my bigger lathe.

Put a piece of 1.75x1.75 x 5-6 walnut between centers and jumped right in. didn't hold back at all and stopped the piece one time but not the machine. (drive spur wasn't in enough) It was on the middle speed setting which I didn't change and I turned it down to 40rpm with no problem. I'll try for 30rpm on the lower pulley.

Some people probably wouldn't like the finish on the bed but the banjo slides fine so it doesn't bother me.

My chuck fit on the spindle fine and my robust tool rest would have worked but I didn't want to move the stop collar I have on it so I used the 6 inch rest that came with the lathe which turns out worked good too, maybe better than the robust because I have a spot on it that I can't seem to get rid of where a tool catches.

Back