• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

virtual symposium recordings

I had signed up for the recorded demo sessions from the 2024 AAW symposium and only now watched the first, by Heather Marusiak, She packed a lot into 1 1/2 hours, was well organized, inspiring and humorous, explaining her design approach and technical aspects of making her intricately carved forms. With a background in studio art and teaching she has made incredibly rapid progress since taking up turning relatively recently. She said she is the resident weirdo in a traditional "round and brown" turning club in Kansas as she uses the lathe primarily as a means of roughing out sculptural elements.

I would like to make it to a national symposium someday but this was a good substitute. It may be that one would not be able to see all the recorded sessions in person due to scheduling, I don't know. I look forward to watching the other sessions. Anyway, I can recommend the recordings to anyone who can't get there. I think it's too late to register for them now, but there's always next year.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
may be that one would not be able to see all the recorded sessions in person due to scheduling,
There are 10 rotation periods. In person you can see 10 demos or panels.
There are 79 demos, 7 panels, and 10 youth classes - 96 activities
Some demos are given twice.

One strategy for attendees is to sit in on 10 demos not scheduled to be recorded.
Then watch the recorded demos at home.

Symposium schedule arrows point out
Two rooms set up for live streaming and recording
IMG_1719.jpeg

I did see that Heather Marusiak presentation in person and it was one of the best I was able to see. I also watched the recording today. I learned things the second time that I didn't remember from the first time.

One strategy for attendees is to sit in on 10 demos not scheduled to be recorded.

Symposium schedule arrows point out
Two rooms set up for live streaming and recording
View attachment 64227
Hockenbery, Is there any significance to the different colors of the boxes in this chart. Next year I will watch what isn't being recorded. This is a good learning experience how to navigate the symposium. Maybe some year I will get to attend one live.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Hockenbery, Is there any significance to the different colors of the boxes in this chart. Next year I will watch what isn't being recorded. This is a good learning experience how to navigate the symposium. Maybe some year I will get to attend one live.
They're categories of a sort - that part of the schedule got cut offJZNqfXn54G8YmCqdD4okkZNTG6hnsJBXJ7F3 copy.png

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
It is an aid in guiding attendees to demos that interest them.
On one level it’s a reasonable guide to use.

On a detailed look at demos, pigeon holing ignores the multiple dimensions of demos.

As an example - I would recommend the Christian Burchard demo to anyone interested in turning and hollowing spheres
The demo is identified as multi axis. When I looked at the 90 minute Demi, I see 4 topics. You might see others.

45 minutes - multi-axis turning spheres. - anyone interested in turning spheres should watch this one.
10. minutes hollowing spheres -
10 minutes embellishing
25 minutes embellishing on multi-centers- Multi center is different from multi-axis

Of the categories Muti-axis is the best fit.
It just doesn’t give an indication that it would be a great demo for anyone with a focus on hollowing or anyone wanting to turn spheres.

Oddly, this would not be a good demo for most folks interested in multi-axis work.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
It is an aid in guiding attendees to demos that interest them.
On one level it’s a reasonable guide to use.

On a detailed look at demos, pigeon holing ignores the multiple dimensions of demos.
And sometimes, there probably isn't really a good category for a given demo. My Shot Barrel demo was tagged as "Hollow Forms". But I'm not sure which of those categories I'd have put it in...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
And sometimes, there probably isn't really a good category for a given demo. My Shot Barrel demo was tagged as "Hollow Forms". But I'm not sure which of those categories I'd have put it in...
Exactly
Maybe an unlidded box

I personally think the categories are a waste of time. Attendees seem to like them.

Sort of the classic example of a bad idea carried out to perfection. :)

Last edited:
I have a

I have a different take. I will not attend a demo unless there is a recording I can view later. I'm there to learn but even if I was to try something the very next day I'll forget some of what I learned. Handouts are big helpers but never contain the detailed info of a complete demo. and you can't take much in the way of notes as you'll miss something else. Much more likely is I get excited about a new technique but may not be able to try something for weeks or months.

I've gotten thru quite a few of them and watched a couple of them a 2nd time. I'm curious what other people think are favorites or must-see sessions.

Even though the name is decieving, I thought Therming by Art Liestrom was excellent. Interesting topic and great presentation.

Kirk DeHeer's demo on Empty Bowls was packed full of useful info. (and a little humor) Great demonstrator.

Jay Shepherd did a great job with finishing techniques.

Of course, Scott Groves demo on filigree made me want to shop for supplies right away to try it out. (I didn't, but it's tempting)

What are other favorites?

Back