• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc VL300 horsepower

I have a 1.75Kw VL300 (original from Australia not the woodcraft version) sitting at my Vicmarc dealership here in Western Canada. I ordered a 3HP lathe, is the 1.75Kw lathe a 3HP or 2HP? I was told by an electrician that when you divide Watts by 746 you get HP so that means 1750 / 746 = 2.3 HP. I was also told that because of the frequency converter and 3Phase motor that the 1.75Kw actually produces 3HP. At the moment I am a bit confused by all the seemingly conflicting information provided to me, I thought that the 1.75Kw is a 2HP and the 2.2Kw is a 3HP. Could anybody clarify this for me?

I have a 1.75Kw VL300 (original from Australia not the woodcraft version) sitting at my Vicmarc dealership here in Western Canada. I ordered a 3HP lathe, is the 1.75Kw lathe a 3HP or 2HP?

It's actually less than 2, because motors are not 100% efficient. If you ordered, though I wonder why, a full 3 HP, this must not be your lathe. Is a 2HP enough for almost anything you can turn? Probably.

Lots of mythbusting stuff here http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/AC_13.html

Adam,
Just to confirm, your electrician friend is, of course, correct. 746 watts equals 1 hp, and so 1750 watts would indeed be 2.3 hp. There is no way to get more power out than you put in. As Michael says, due to various inefficiencies, you typically get less "out" than you "put in". Hope this is helpful.

Sorry, not a 3hp. I just got a new 3hp (2.2kw) Austrailian model and I would insist on 3hp if that is what I ordered. I know it is a wait but it is well worth it. Remember that there is a 50% power difference between 2 and 3 hp!

Well I have done some research and the lathe has a input of 220Volt, 20 Amp with a frequency inverter and phase converter and a three Phase 1750 Watts motor. When reading about electrical stuff apparently this type of setup creates the same amount of torque as a single pase 3HP motor. Since torque is what actually turns the wood around I am satisfied with the power/torque this lathe will provide. Any comments?

Well I have done some research and the lathe has a input of 220Volt, 20 Amp with a frequency inverter and phase converter and a three Phase 1750 Watts motor. When reading about electrical stuff apparently this type of setup creates the same amount of torque as a single pase 3HP motor. Since torque is what actually turns the wood around I am satisfied with the power/torque this lathe will provide. Any comments?

You're the owner/operator. Don't worry about the guy next door who has a 5 HP. BTW, torque starts it, inertia runs it. Only time torque becomes important after that is if you're pressing hard enough to slow the lathe. Which is sort of dumb, because you don't cut as much wood that way.

Adam,
Probably you should only PAY for the 2.3 hp. model, if there is such a thing. Meanwhile, the 2.3 is likely to be more than adequate. At those extremely rare times when I get a massive catch when roughing, the belt slips on my 2 hp. lathe. One attempts to release the catch as instantaneously as possible to avoid flat spotting the belt (which would cause vibration in subsequent operation). Maybe need to apply a little more belt tension. Anyhow have never seen any event that caused the motor to slow down.

So congrats and have fun with your new lathe! Maybe post some pictures of your work.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
My PM3520 "2HP"

I checked the motor plate on my 3520 and it shows 2 HP, 220V, 6.2 amps. Or 1364 watts. The cover plate on my VF controller is covered up by a somewhat useful fixture, but as I recall it was something like 7.2 amps input. No doubt the controller demands a toll of passage. So 1584 watts for 2HP. Or 792 watts/HP, close to what your electrician says. I doubt PM UNDERSTATES the HP, so I would doubt based on this bit of evidence a 1750 watt VM300 is 3HP.

However as the rodent said, 2HP pretty much does it for me, even with large rough outs. But 3HP seems like on occasion it could provide a nice useful margin.

You can trust my analysis because I almost passed high school physics in 1956.

It is always a comfort to get what you pay for.

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
I have a 1.75Kw VL300 (original from Australia not the woodcraft version) sitting at my Vicmarc dealership here in Western Canada. I ordered a 3HP lathe, is the 1.75Kw lathe a 3HP or 2HP? I was told by an electrician that when you divide Watts by 746 you get HP so that means 1750 / 746 = 2.3 HP. I was also told that because of the frequency converter and 3Phase motor that the 1.75Kw actually produces 3HP. At the moment I am a bit confused by all the seemingly conflicting information provided to me, I thought that the 1.75Kw is a 2HP and the 2.2Kw is a 3HP. Could anybody clarify this for me?
I am sorry to disappoint you but the 3HP version of the VL 300 short bed has a 2.2KW motor.
Direct from Australia? DO you mean you got it direct from Vicmarc or from an Australian dealer? I'd be surprised if Vicmarc did such a blunt mistake

Found the final answer

I got clarification on this issue from Vicmarc themselves. The lathe at my Vicmarc dealership is indeed a 2HP lathe. I have re-ordered the lathe with a 3HP setup it will arrive April/May of 2008 a bit of a wait but probably worth it. Thank you all for your help on this subject.

Happy turning.

When? Dang thats a long wait for such a sweet machine. Again, you won't regret it. I finally tried out my coring system and thanked my checkbook for all three horses.

Back