• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vicmarc mini, too much power?

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
So, I have another tech question for all you tech types out there! Suppose one buys a vicmarc vl100 mini lathe from craft supplies without the motor. The main reason for doing so is because variable speed is not available on the CS version of this for some reason and VS is a necessary feature regarding how it will be used. There are micro-VFD's available for 1/4, 1/2, and 1.0 HP 3 phase motors for 115VAC input (also necessary in this case). The price difference between 1/2 and 1.0 HP is small for both the motor and/or the VFD. So, the question is which size to go with? I lean towards the 1.0 HP set up for no other reason than 1.0 HP motors are prevalent. I have found some brand new Baldor 1725 TEFC 1.0 HP for 150 bucks... seems like a good choice to me. However 1/2 HP are easy to find too... is there anything wrong with going for a bigger motor? I like the idea of the weight of the bigger motor. I realize the issues of danger with more power but I am not going to be jamming a 5/8 gouge into anything on this rig...EVER, so safety should not be an issue... any other reason bigger motors are not usually used?

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
I don't see how you can go wrong with the 1 HP motor, the 1/2 HP will likely be a disappointment if you want to turn bowls or anything over 8" in diameter.
If you fear having an excess of torque, maybe loosen the belt a little so it slips on a heavy catch. Del Stubbs had a foot pedal controlling the belt tension on his lathe, which he used as a simple clutch. Not too hard to rig up with some cable pulling down on a hinged motor, and a heavy spring pulling it up when you release your foot. So you couldn't walk away from a running lathe :D

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
thanks. I do not fear torque... I would prefer an abundance of torque. As waltben mentioned, I also had a 3/4 HP machine to learn on and I could bog it down easily. It was also nice for the learning curve for me too (all the catches, etc...). I was just curious if anyone had a good reason that almost all the mini lathes out there come with 1/2 HP motors, including the vic. I think there might be a few 3/4 machines out there (mini lathes) but generally they are 1/2. I guess price is one good reason but buying aftermarket, there isn't much difference with all the surplus motors out there and ebay.

Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
Hi Peter,

I've done exactly what you are suggesting. I bought a VL100 without motor and fitted a 1HP motor and variable speed. Before I did it I checked with Phil Irons (the UK distributor for Vicmarc), and was reassured that the bearings would stand up to the bigger motor with no problems. Its worked fine for a couple of years now, and I'm very pleased with it.

Bob

Money's the reason, though after sufficient advertising you can sell pretty much anything at a premium. The machine is going to draw as much power as is required to keep at synchronous or set speed, so it's pretty moot, other than the weight of the larger motor, which you use. If you give the weight some support in your motor mounting system the rest of the machine won't know the difference.

I guess I'm unusual in saying that I don't stall or bog the lathe. Stuff keeps coming off just fine without it, and my old arm doesn't have to push, just present. With the old V-belt I had slip if I got exuberant, with the micro-v I try to do the same.

KEW

Peter Skellenger said:
I was just curious if anyone had a good reason that almost all the mini lathes out there come with 1/2 HP motors, including the vic.

Like MM says money is a factor. The other is weight. Since these are all imported, the weight shows up in the delivered cost as well & many buy mini's for portability. I know the Delta mini is listed at 80 lbs (1/2 hp motor).

Cheers,
Kurt

I purchased the VL100 from Craft Supplies with no motor. I picked up a 1/2 hp DC motor and Minarik DC Controller on Ebay. This setup has variable speed, foward, reverse, and braking. I have not maxed the lathe out yet with a 9 to 10" diameter peice but I seem to have plenty of power and tourque with this setup. I have since purchased on Ebay a 1/2 hp Baldor 3 phase motor and a 1/2 HP AC Tech VFD which are still in the box. Once I get this up and running I will be able to see the difference between AC Motor and DC Motor. As for the Lathe with the tapered roller bearings, the weight, and the quality of this machine it should handle more power with no problem.

Back