• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc chuck

I’m thinking about getting a Vicmarc chuck the vm100 can I get it with direct thread. 1 1/4 by 8 or does it only come with an insert
And do these ever go on sale anywhere
In the USA. Thanks

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Tom, the the vm100 does come with a direct thread option. This is from vicmarc’s site:

I’ve been on the fence about getting a vm120 for a long while. The biggest sale I’ve seen in months of watching is 5% off. So, I’d suggest you just bite the bullet.

Hi Tom, the the vm100 does come with a direct thread option. This is from vicmarc’s site:

I’ve been on the fence about getting a vm120 for a long while. The biggest sale I’ve seen in months of watching is 5% off. So, I’d suggest you just bite the bullet.
Thanks
I think I was on packerd site and it only had a insert style

Last edited:
Might as well go full Cadillac. Take a look at vm150. 11.7 pounds of take no prisoners. Fits any vm120 jaws giving it a very wide selection. Does require a spindle specific insert. Maybe it's all in my head but the lathe seems smoother somehow.

I have a vm120, direct thread. I do really love my Vic. It's a beast that has never let go. I kinda wish it were insert instead so I could install a grub screw without affecting the chuck body. Plus, you never now when you might want to use it on a lathe with a different spindle.

I don't know what lathe you have, but a big chuck (like a vm150) might not be the best thing for a mini or midi lathe.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I find the quick release on the 150 to be irritating and of no benefit I've yet discovered. My 120's handle everything I've thrown at them (bowl blanks up to ~25" in diameter) and is a lifetime purchase-- the jaws for the 100 don't work on the 120/150, so won't transfer when you upgrade. I'd spend the extra for the 120 and only feel the pain once.
I've been seriously thinking about selling the 150 and getting another 120 in its place.

I find the quick release on the 150 to be irritating and of no benefit I've yet discovered. My 120's handle everything I've thrown at them (bowl blanks up to ~25" in diameter) and is a lifetime purchase-- the jaws for the 100 don't work on the 120/150, so won't transfer when you upgrade. I'd spend the extra for the 120 and only feel the pain once.
I've been seriously thinking about selling the 150 and getting another 120 in its place.
I was thinking that the 100 would be better for small work like pens wands and ornaments

Might as well go full Cadillac. Take a look at vm150. 11.7 pounds of take no prisoners. Fits any vm120 jaws giving it a very wide selection. Does require a spindle specific insert. Maybe it's all in my head but the lathe seems smoother somehow.
That sounds good but is it harder to work around when working on small things like finials

From all the reviews the Vicmarc line of chucks are very good, but I have never owned one. I have the Axminster chucks. Axminster has the O’Donnell jaws that work very well for me for small turnings and finials. I have four Axminster chucks, two SK100s and two SK114s. I prefer the SK114, but the SK100 work just as well. Most jaws are interchangeable between the chucks. Jaw change is easy, just crank out one set and crank in another set. The O’Donnell jaws pretty much live on a SK114. Depending on what insert I have in them I can securely clamp a square ranging from 5’8” to 1 1/4” or a dovetail approximately the same range.

The only problem I have had with my Vicmark chucks are the plastic T handles on the hex wrench have broken a few times. I bought some wire type looped T handles. The two main ones that I have had the longest have developed about a 2 degree 'twist' to the handle. Probably 90+% of the time I am expanding into a recess. And, yes, I did learn not to tighten as tight as I possibly could, just snug it up in each key hole a couple of times for bigger pieces.

robo hippy

The only problem I have had with my Vicmark chucks are the plastic T handles on the hex wrench have broken a few times. I bought some wire type looped T handles. The two main ones that I have had the longest have developed about a 2 degree 'twist' to the handle. Probably 90+% of the time I am expanding into a recess. And, yes, I did learn not to tighten as tight as I possibly could, just snug it up in each key hole a couple of times for bigger pieces.

robo hippy
Thanks for the heads up on that

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I was thinking that the 100 would be better for small work like pens wands and ornaments
I agree with that statement To some extent. you can of course hold small work in a large Chuck.
but sometimes the smaller holding devices work well.
collet chucks are evern smaller and can hold a finial well.

depending on the jaws and your turning style the smaller chuck will let you do things like undercut a goblet base without rubbing the chuck with your tool. However taller Jaws on a larger chuck gives more clearance and adding a 1/4” to the waste will solve the clearance problem Too.

there is also the comfort factor. Smaller chucks can be less intimidating for newer turners.

VM100 vs VM120.
The Jaw sets on the VM100 are less expensive. However, the number of jaws available for the vm100 is much less. When you buy the VM120/150, you're buying one of the most extensive jaw lines of any woodturning chuck manufacturer, covering most chucking situations. Youll never know what you may be turning in the future. The VM120 line is a good solid investment. If I were to own only one chuck, it would be the VM120. I own both the 150 and the 120 and of course, many more manufacturers. I've never had a Vicmarc handle break, but if it did, it can be inexpensively replaced by a hex key from your local hardware store.

Last edited:
VM100 vs VM120.
The Jaw sets on the VM100 are less expensive. However, the number of jaws available for the vm100 is much less. When you buy the VM120/150, you're buying one of the most extensive jaw lines of any woodturning chuck manufacturer, covering most chucking situations. Youll never know what you may be turning in the future. The VM120 line is a good solid investment. If I were to own only one chuck, it would be the VM120. I own both the 150 and the 120 and of course, many more manufacturers. I've never had a Vicmarc handle break, but if it did, it can be inexpensively replaced by a hex key from your local hardware store.
Thanks for the help I think I will start with the vm120

From all the reviews the Vicmarc line of chucks are very good, but I have never owned one. I have the Axminster chucks. Axminster has the O’Donnell jaws that work very well for me for small turnings and finials. I have four Axminster chucks, two SK100s and two SK114s. I prefer the SK114, but the SK100 work just as well. Most jaws are interchangeable between the chucks. Jaw change is easy, just crank out one set and crank in another set. The O’Donnell jaws pretty much live on a SK114. Depending on what insert I have in them I can securely clamp a square ranging from 5’8” to 1 1/4” or a dovetail approximately the same range.
I have a SK114 and am looking to add a second axminster...I can't see any significant advantage to selecting an sk100 except price, and in canada right now its not a big difference. Am I missing something, or should I just grab a second 114? (I have jaws ranging from the F's and o'donnell's to the 5" M's)

I have a SK114 and am looking to add a second axminster...I can't see any significant advantage to selecting an sk100 except price, and in canada right now its not a big difference. Am I missing something, or should I just grab a second 114? (I have jaws ranging from the F's and o'donnell's to the 5" M's)
Gary get the SK114 chuck, I have two SK114s and like that chuck a bit better. The SK100 works well also and one nice thing is the spanner wrench to remove it. The first Axminister chuck I bought was the SK100 with the C jaws. I bought this chuck as I had the Axminister eccentric chuck. I tried using the Axminister eccentric chuck with the Nova/Record chucks I had at the time and was not satisfied. After being “impressed” with the SK100 I sold all my Nova/Record chucks (8) and bought my first SK114. Lee Valley was closing out the Axminister brand and offered a significant discount on the SK100 chuck, so I bought a second SK100 and my first SK114. And eventually a second SK114. My O’Donnell jaws live on one SK114, M jaws on the second 114, C Jaws on one SK100, and the other SK100 is is for speciality jaws I change out. I do have the Colossus jaws that are not used much.

I'm in Canada; I went to order a VM 120, and Ken, the Canadian dealer, called me (right away) to make sure I was ordering the right chuck. My lathe is a General 160 with only a 12" swing; he strongly suggested I get the 100 rather than the 120. So I did, and have been very happy with it. Will be ordering a second one soon. It certainly seems capable of handling anything I can do on that lathe.

I have about four different chucks ranging in size from 3 inch up to 6inch or 75 up to 150. The small one has a set thread that can not be changed but the others all have inserts that can be changed to suit different spindles. My current wood lathe is a midi with a swing of 345mm and a spindle that is 30mm the thread is 30x8 other lathes I have have smaller spindles so I also have different inserts to suit these lathes
In NZ we can buy an assortment of different brands of chucks and most require an insert I prefer these brands as then you can use the chuck on any lathe with the correct insert.

Back