• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

variable speed upgrade

I am using a step-pulley setup with consequent limited speed options and have explored the variable speed drive options on some of the commercial web sites. I must admit to being a little daunted by the options and costs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Has anyone done such a conversion? I am currently running a 230v 1725 rpm 1 hp Dayton motor but am willing to buy a new motor.

Thanks so much to both of you

I will try to follow the directions. My lathe is an old 1 hp Conover but it is in excellent condition with a very sturdy I-beam bed and steel legs that provide no vibration, so I am motivated to upgrade here rather than going out and buying a new Oneway!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've changed several lathes over to VS. It's never been a particularly cheap endeavor. My first change was to a DC motor. I got the motor pretty cheap but the contoller was several hundred dollars.
I changed another lathe by putting a 3 phase motor and Variable Frequency Drive. This was actually less expensive than the DC conversion and worked better because you maintain torque at the low end. I got the motor free and found the controller on EBAY. I was lucky and they matched. I didn't know at the time that this mismatch can be a problem. If you buy a set from a place like www.dealerselectric.com they will already work together.
I've also put a jack shaft on a lathe to give me a wider selection of speeds. That may require moving the motor.
It varies a lot on how much each deal can cost and how skilled you are at mounting motors, wiring up motors and switches etc.

I love the VFD set-up on my Jet 1642. I hated the step pulley system on my small metal lathe.

E-Bay was the answer.

After browsing the offers for various drives and visiting the manufacturer's websites for wiring schematics and other information, I purchased a used 3-phase motor for $20 and a Hitachi VFD for $99. Other than some tweaking to fit the motor and adapt the pulley, the installation was easy.

If anything, they make the manuals for the VFD more confusing than need be for neophytes (like me).

Step one is to figure the wiring which is basic and straight-forward. Step two is configuring the drive for your motor (number of poles, is usually all that is necessary as the rest of the factory settings should b OK) and whether or not you have some form of external control. Since I wanted to mimic the set-up of the Jet, I added a remote E-stop button, a FWD/REV switch and a speed control pot. This was more or less like programming a video recorder or digital clock.

I certainly can see why some retailers charge good money for a package price on a variable speed drive system: it takes some time to set it up and they probably have to account for tech calls and the like. But if you can strip wires and solder connections, you can hook up a VFD.

One word of caution: make sure you can fit whatever motor you're buying on your lathe. You can find many 1 and 2 hp motors for cheap, but they may be in the same size case as a 3 or even 5 hp motor.

Back